Thread: The Barrowmoor

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Default The Barrowmoor

Here's a hand-drawn map for a (hopefully soon) upcoming campaign I'm planning. There's an OSR product called "Barrowmaze" which is basically an undead-yuemed megadungeon, a giant crypt underneath a field of barrowmounds located in a moor. I wasn't quite satisfied with the map provided in the book, and since I like mapmaking and a bit of worldbuilding, I transplanted the moor (after seriously sizing it down, because I found the original moor unrealistically large) into a map of my own design.

This started out as a hexmap but I've always wanted something a bit more realistically looking. There are no points of interest (other than two smaller and one larger town) because I might sow this map to my players. The area is not quite as devoid of POIs as it looks.

Anyway, I'm happy how this turned out. I mainly used stuff by Faber-Castell, namely Polychromos pencils and PITT brushpens.

Enjoy (and critique and comments are encouraged!)

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Beautifully drawn. I love the textures, specifically how you did the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryke View Post
    Beautifully drawn. I love the textures, specifically how you did the mountains.
    Thanks!

It's been a loooong time, but I've got news:
    I bought a new PC recently and I finally treated myself to a PS subscription and now I'm trying to teach myself "real" painting instead of toying around with filters, textures and blends.
    How do you like my mountain so far? It's from the above map which I'm trying to paint for my (future) players.
    Still looking for my own "style" though. I hope I will find something coherent that pulls the terrain types together well.
    Critique welcome!

Looks good so far. Just remember that there will be hard shadows as well, and highlights, which should make everything really pop. You can usually see this clearly in satellite photos (but less so on satellite mode in Bing or Google maps I think they try and take those photos when the sun is at or close to high noon). I think the way to go about it for beginners (like me) is to just do the colours and then you can do shadows in a different layer (I do them in a layer set to multiply), and do highlights in yet a different layer (which I forgot what its supposed to be set to).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Shading.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	113321
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-10-2019 at 01:37 PM.