Thread: Trying something new with my maps

Guild Apprentice

Post Trying something new with my maps

Hi everyone, just thought I would share another map. This one is slightly different as I have added shadows to add a feeling of depth, and have added an overall colour, again trying to be old school. Any comments will be gratefully received

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple-of-Healing.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	106033

I think this really captures that old school feel and I like the use a shadows to give added depth.

I am a little unsure of where you light source is. It seems it's coming from above and in front of the statue because there is a shadow behind the statue but then all the benches have the same length shadow and judging by the angle of the shadows on the statues nearer the entrance I would think they would also be shifted a bit on the benches. Also, (regarding the bench shadows) I think those would become longer the father you are from the light.

If you want to get the illusion of depth I think you did marvelously. I'm not claiming to be an expert but if you want to create realistic shadows that might take a bit more work and may not be worth it.

This is better than the old school maps we used to get so either way it's a win! I think you did a fabulous job here.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It's really great ! I also love the old school look of it.

Guild Apprentice

Many thanks for your lovely comments. Jaxlion you are totally right about the shadows. The light source is supposed to be emanating from just in front of the pool, but now I look at it the bench shadows and other things you mention are too much out of kilter. I will try again with another map.

Many thanks again, your feedback is alway greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Although I agree that the shadows are a bit confusing, I really love this map. It's such a clean but still artistic style and it definitely has an old school look.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Really cool, this wouldn't look out of place in one of those old "Ultima" rpg booklets!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Agree about the light source, but otherwise, this is a really neat looking map Jeremy. You've really nailed that old school vibe with your own touches too.

Also, nice to see another from the South West on here. Get any more and we'll have to have a little South West mapping convention...

Going to agree. It's got a great old school feel to it. But also, the light source is a problem. I count at least 5 different light sources. I get that you were going for a very symmetrical feel, or that's the feeling I get looking at the map.

But light just doesn't work that way.

Guild Apprentice

Many Thanks for your great comment guys. I promise I shall try and work on the shadows in my next map, although I must admit, going to be a tough one ;P

Greg, great to see someone else who is lives nearby. A small world as they say!! ;P