Thread: Brush selection in GIMP

Guild Apprentice

Default Brush selection in GIMP

I would like to have a selection of only 6 or 7 brushes that I use often/mostly in GIMP.
    Is there a way to create a kind of brush palette where one would only see the frequently used brushes so that one has not to scroll through a hundred brushes every time I want to change a brush ?

I suppose you could just go into the system brush directory and delete the ones you don't want to see? I think it is something like C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes but you'll need to experiment a bit.

On your computer, GIMP has two folders for brushes. One is in the system folder (I think the link above), which you are not advised not to mess with, and the other is in your personal gimp directory, which is the one you are supposed to add your custom brushes to. You can view the exact location of both folders in GIMP by going to EDIT>PREFERENCES>FOLDERS>BRUSHES. 2 folders should be selected, a read-only system folder (with the file address) and your personal editable one (ditto).

EDIT

Scratch that - I worked out how to do it properly! Run GIMP AS ADMINISTRATOR.
    1. EDIT>PREFERENCES>FOLDERS>BRUSHES and make BOTH folders writeable
    2. open BRUSH DIALOGUE. This is not the brush summary toolbox tool. For me, it shows in the lower right of the screen, near gradiants and textures.
    3. select all the brushes you don't like and click on the delete TRASHCAN symbol at the bottom of the menu.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 02-12-2016 at 04:26 PM.

I personally wouldn't delete brushes, because you never know when you might need them at some future point.

Gimp allows you to use tags on brushes, and I think this is the simplest way to achieve what you want. You add a tag (for example, 'Favourites') and apply this to the brushes you use most often. When you open Gimp initially, you can filter using this tag. It's true you have to filter every time you start Gimp, but it's such a tiny step and it leaves the other brushes intact just in case...!

There's info on how to do it here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tagging.html
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I personally wouldn't delete brushes, because you never know when you might need them at some future point.

Gimp allows you to use tags on brushes, and I think this is the simplest way to achieve what you want. You add a tag (for example, 'Favourites') and apply this to the brushes you use most often. When you open Gimp initially, you can filter using this tag. It's true you have to filter every time you start Gimp, but it's such a tiny step and it leaves the other brushes intact just in case...!

There's info on how to do it here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tagging.html
    Thanks Chickpea. This can answer my question because I didn't want to delete brushes indeed. I just wanted to have a reduced set loaded systematically like the favorites in a browser.
    I will try what you suggest.