Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just an Autism thing

Default Just an Autism thing

Hi everyone !
    So i didn't mention it in my introduction thread but I'm being diagnosed with Autism this month, after three years (really it's more but, i'm not gonna explain that here xD) of struggling with doctors and psychiatrists, and to be honest this has quite been a revelation and an answer to a lot of issues I had with life in a world not made for me. So when I got struck by the mapping lightning i just felt like dong this map, of what an autistic place could look like, and i have to admit i'm quite satisfied with how it turned out x)
    The process has also been quite therapeutic, as I'm still figuring out my place on the spectrum and also learning to accept that there are a lot of stuff neurtoypicals do that I'll never be able to do and that's okay.
    Anyway, if you are not autstic you may not get any of the stuff on there xD But it's okay you can ask, if you want to know more (i just don't know if i'm able to explain clearly as i have a lot of trouble to express myself in a way that makes sense to others x) )

Thanks a lot to JoshStolarz for his nice tutorials on which i based almost all the different locations x)

Also, sorry about the mediocre quality of the file, I don't have a scanner so I have to take pictures for traditional drawings slkdfjsd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	119608  
    Last edited by Severaph; 01-01-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I think its far to say that we have an elevated level of spectral people here. In fact I think the guild could safely be located in special interest forest.

I ..... thought so xD
    If I ever make a new version of this map i'll make sure to include it
    Thanks !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

It is a very interesting and revealing map for people without autism. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I can see a lot of places that are disturbing or painful places. I just hope that there are a few places that remain pleasant for you? Anyway, it's a great idea to explain how you see autism with a map... because with a map, you always know where you are?!?
    Welcolm to the guild, I think it's a safe place for sharing that kind of stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    It is a very interesting and revealing map for people without autism. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    I can see a lot of places that are disturbing or painful places. I just hope that there are a few places that remain pleasant for you? Anyway, it's a great idea to explain how you see autism with a map... because with a map, you always know where you are?!?
    Welcolm to the guild, I think it's a safe place for sharing that kind of stuff !
    Pretty much all I was going to say too. I hope you're doing alright

But subject matter aside, I think the map is very solid as an art piece as well. Nice, clean lineart and beautiful lettering. Love that compass rose!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

thanks both of you
    That really means a lot.

JO, there are a lot of painful and hard places indeed, but in a way, it's just part of me, so... Gotta deal with it I guess ? I try my best to not let it overwhelm me, especially now that there are words to qualify what I go through and actual solutions can clearly be considered and applied
    With those solutions, the pain will eventually fade

Thanks a lot Kellerica for those words, believe it or not that's exactly what I wanted feedback about :')
    I'm very self concious about my lettering cause in daily life my writing is terrible haha but yeah oddly enough it seems okay when i do it on maps

This is a really lovely map and then adding that it's representation of your struggles makes it even more beautiful. I personally love hand drawn maps and this is very well made. My favorite part is definitely Mount Meltdown, I love the way it looks and it's a very clear illustration showing that specific part of dealing with Autism. Trust me you will find full support here!

oh thank you so much for your comment
    You really are such lovely people here, thank you for being warm and understanding.

Yeah, I loved spending time on mount meltdown, and i'm so happy with how it turned out ! I wasn't sure the fumes of steam from the lava hitting the water were gonna look good as it's far from what I usually draw so this was a nice stepping out of comfort zone (even though i hate stepping out of comfort zone )
    I really love hand drawn maps too, even though i also love the neat and tidy side of the digital ones too x) I'm so looking forward to having the time to get to do several maps in either category
    I'm already just digging in all the threads here to see what people made and it's so gorgeous
    Last edited by Severaph; 01-01-2020 at 06:16 PM.

The most interesting map I've seen in some time. In my unretired days, one of the things I did is to train autistic candidates as programmers. Some of the locations on the map became quite familiar, others are mystery areas that I more or less recognized as being there but never managed to enter. A good contribution. Thanks!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Novice

Praise

About three years ago I was diagnosed with Autism. It's a **** thing, and this map really shows that, but you can't really do anything about it. You just have to live with the joys and pains that come with the wacky brain thingy that is Autism. I wish you the best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast