Thread: Here's one I made earlier

Wip Here's one I made earlier

I was trying to decide what to do for my next map when I found a height map on my hard drive that I've never done anything with. It seems rude to leave a poor little height map unimproved so maybe I should do something with it!

The lakes region in the middle is a bit funky with how the rivers worked out so I might need to do something there. All I have really done up to this point is stick a basic colour gradient on it and a bump map. I'm not sure if I'll go with more variety or not when it comes to types of terrain. Obviously I'll need some labels and a border along the way too.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers on where to go from here that would be great. Here is a scaled down work in progress:

lostout base.png

I've been messing around with http://w-shadow.com/celtic-knots/ in an attempt to come up with a slightly more interesting border. Here's what I have so far, unfortunately the corners have ended up a bit bare and need something added there.

lostout - border.png

Hi there QED42, looking pretty good. Adding a lighter gradient to indicate shallower water along the shore would help make the landmass "pop" a bit more. Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi there QED42, looking pretty good. Adding a lighter gradient to indicate shallower water along the shore would help make the landmass "pop" a bit more. Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you for the compliment and suggestion!

Today I put a bunch of labels on the map but I'm still slightly unsure on the name for the continent itself. Adding the lighter glow round the land has really helped. I also thought that the border was looking a bit much so I removed the back element and changed the colour of the pattern. Hopefully it looks a bit better now.

lostout - labels2.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QED42; 10-19-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: noticed I had layers in the wrong order, derp

I think I'm coming to the end on this one. It's pretty much fully labelled now and I don't think there is anything missing but I would love some suggestions if anyone has any.

lostout - labels2.png

All looks well, QED

Nice map

Thanks Mouse!