Thread: Hi there! Looking for skilled mapmakers...

Question Hi there! Looking for skilled mapmakers...

Hi all,

I'm excited to have found this forum! My name is Emily and, while I like looking at maps, I am not an expert at making them. However, I am here because I am looking for someone more skilled at mapmaking to work with me and a co-writer of a story to create three or more maps for publication.

In brief, we have a sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel series that will begin coming out next year from a great comics publisher, and go for at least 3 (hopefully more!) books, through 2020+. Our little universe is based in the future of our real world, set in the United States, and will expand as the story goes on. In each of our graphic novel volumes, we want to have an elegant map that fits with our aesthetic, that has the potential for expansion, and that children as well as adults can follow. We also may want one or more "detail" maps of particular locations, including possibly buildings. We want these maps to be accurate, and to the best of our abilities as non-map-experts, have been trying to write approximately correct distances into the story. We know a number of our locations now, but since this is a several-year writing project, even we don't know exactly where it will take us!

We are looking for someone who would want to work with us to develop these maps, and has the artistic skills to create something that matches our aesthetic, as well as the ability to ensure we are portraying distances, landmarks, etc. accurately. We would want to see examples of previous work if possible before working with a mapmaker. The first map would need to be completed by possibly November of this year (we will have a firmer deadline next week). We can discuss compensation.

I would appreciate any assistance veteran forumers can give me re: which threads I should post to if there are some specifically for things like this, any forum participants they know that have a track record of this sort of thing or would be interested, or any other tips on how to go about finding someone to work with us on this.

Thank you very much!

Emily

Hi Emily, and welcome to the Guild.

We have an area of our forum dedicated to finding map makers, and I would suggest you post there, as not everyone checks the intro thread. This is the map-making requests sub-forum, though I would suggest you have a read through this comment before you post again, as it'll help provide the information our artists needs to assess their suitability.

Also FYI, as an anti-spam measure, you can't use the site's PM system until you've made five comments, so you'd either need to leave a few more comments, or you can provide an email address so that people can contact you.

Good luck with finding someone to work with! Your project sounds very interesting.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Emily, and welcome to the Guild.
    Thank you! And thank you for the guidance. I will certainly read what you've recommended and then try that thread next! Cheers!

Hi Emily,

Welcome to the Guild and if you're looking to hire someone, let me introduce my work.If you like what you see, do not hesitate to send me an email, the address is on my DeviantArt page.

Cheers !

Thomas

Hey Emily! Welcome to the guild!

I might be interested in this project. You can have a look at my portfolio to get an impression of my work and if you are interested you can contact me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Daniel