Thread: How to replicate this style of forest in photoshop CS5?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Keith Foyston's Avatar

Tutorial How to replicate this style of forest in photoshop CS5?

Hello all,

I have spent the day looking across the internet for clues and tips on how to replicate the style of forest from this official D&D campaign map of the world of Eberron, but have had limited success. I'm something of a hack when it comes to using photoshop, so haven't yet stumbled onto a method to this technique on my own, so was wondering if some of you might have some suggestions.

Here's the map with the forest technique I am referring to: Khorvaire Map

I did stumble across this youtube vid which seems like it might work with the addition of a little of texture perhaps?
    Butch Curry Fantasy Cartography with Photoshop #15

So any tips or suggestions on how i might reverse engineer this style of forest would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Keith

To me it looks as texture work, with lots of editing. You could try finding a free forest texture that you like, add it as a new layer, shape it with the eraser to desired shape and then play with blending, shading etc until you get the desired result. I haven't tried this before, so my advice is pulled from what I know of PS on general.

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 using Tapatalk

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I think the mountains can be done via the bevel/emboss layer styles in Photoshop (chisel hard).

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Keith Foyston's Avatar

Thanks guys. I will have to study this and play around a bit. I really like the style of it. Here's the artists website if you are interested. He has some really nice works there.
    http://www.leemoyer.com/p765034612

He has amazing work. Not the style I use, but the visualisation is wonderful.

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 using Tapatalk

I don't think that style of forest is "painted on". I think Rellith is right, it looks to be done with texture work. You could try Butch's technique with a very subtle bevel and emboss layer style. that may give you something you're happy with or you can check out Madcowchef's tutorial on battlemats, his trees/shrubs look a bit similar, no reason it wouldn't work on a larger scale for forests.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I'd say, pick a greenish texture and slap one or two cloud renders in different layer styles on it.