Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

Hello!

Though I have already posted in the "How do I?" section, I do not want to be rude and miss to introduce myself. The Guild has been a precious source of inspiration for me for a long time and your prowess is frequently astonishing.

I came in contact with maps as I joined the German community of virtual micronations. Creating a fictive, more or less realistic nation with its political, economical and cultural life has been a great opportunity to dig into various issues and learn something new. It may seem as an escape from the real world for somebody, but for me, it even helped to understand it more and better than before. As an industrial engineer in real life, I had to learn what it takes to keep a vivid society alive "small scale". It helped me to conceive political issues beyond the simulation and raised critical thinking in general. But what is a nation without land? That is where maps came in.

I learned to handle Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign by myself and with various courses and hit the books about cartography, geography and even geology. Political or thematic maps are not an issue. But for my latest project (topographic maps with shaded reliefs, contours and heightmaps in different scales) I need your help and insights (testing Wilbur and Fractal Terrains did not work out for me as planned).

Thank you all for offering this great platform and make it one of the best moderated and profound sources I ever found!

Be sure to reach out to Waldronate if you haven't already, when in need of tips with Wilbur and Fractal Terrains. I don't know if you know but I think he's the one who actually created both of them. He's usually around the forums and seems to be always be happy to help out people with them. Obviously there are other experienced users and even some tutorials floating about too. Either way, I'm sure you'll find what you need here.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you for your kind welcome! I will definitely roam through the tutorial section from front to back

A good way to improve is to show some examples of things that didn't quite work out the way that you had hoped and explain why they didn't work out as you intended. Or things that worked out well in one area but that don't quite align with your vision for the rest of the piece. There is usually a whole lot of failure on the way to success.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    A good way to improve is to show some examples of things that didn't quite work out the way that you had hoped and explain why they didn't work out as you intended. Or things that worked out well in one area but that don't quite align with your vision for the rest of the piece. There is usually a whole lot of failure on the way to success.
    I keep trying (and showing) Thank you!