Thread: The World (Commission)

Blog Entries

Post The World (Commission)

Hi all,

Long time no Finished Map post...

This is a commission I did for a client who wanted a map to go with the novel he is writing. It's a world that is, as yet, untitled hence the referring to it simply as "the world."

The client had very definite ideas about how he wanted the world to be, including the shape. The map is separated into regions that are very boxy and all roughly the same size and each is separated from the others by some feature or other. The regions were all raised separately by the land's deity (which is what the gem in the top left is), so they needed to be kept apart by design.
    Also, he didn't want labels or a cartouche or a title or anything so it probably looks a little empty in that respect.

The background texture is one of the awesome watercolour textures that Nopkin made available here on this very forum, so thanks a bunch for that, I much appreciate it and will definitely use it again.

Anyway, here it is at 50% size...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheWorld50.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	110106

Thanks for looking.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Looks like a tettris piece. The features look really good, and very clean though. The concept behind it reminds me a little of that excellent anime The 12 Kingdoms.

Wow, Ramah's back! Haven't seen you in ages (not that I've been around much either of late). Nice to see another map from you. Can't say that I'm overly fond of your client's layout, but your skill at illustration shines through all the same. Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

This is definitely an unique concept, and I love your work, as usual. The crater, cliffs and mountains especially

Looking good ! And also glad to see another map from you, Ramah!
    That crater seems to be deeper than the sea .

Nice to see you back Ramah ! What I really love about this map (and your maps in general) is that it shines ! From shallow waters to the snowy peaks, it's dazzling !

Very beautifully drawn. I'm not at all sure I could have done anything great with that shape! But you seem to have managed it

I agree with Mouse, great work with such a challenging shape. The only thing I'm not wild about is the stroke around the landmass, I think the shade of blue stands out a bit too much againts everything else. Your work is always a joy to behold, I'm so glad you're posting again!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone,

It was indeed a very challenging shape to work with and sell as something that satisfies aesthetically. I would have liked to connect some of the features in places such as forests but the client required all the regions to be kept separate as per the text of his novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I agree with Mouse, great work with such a challenging shape. The only thing I'm not wild about is the stroke around the landmass, I think the shade of blue stands out a bit too much againts everything else. Your work is always a joy to behold, I'm so glad you're posting again!
    I wanted it to stand out so that when it dissappears along the edge of the top coastline it helps sell the illusion of the land rising and cliffs facing away from the viewer. That was the intention at least.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt