Thread: Cartographer need for a fantasy novel.

Default Cartographer need for a fantasy novel.

Hi
    I'm a novelist looking to commission a map for my fantasy world. My novel is in the final stages of editing but my feeble attempts at cartography deserve a final cigarette and blindfold.

Subject:
    The land is much longer that it is wide and will run two pages (I hope). The land is divided into regions and features rivers, mountain ranges, forests and towns. It does not need to be perfectly to scale or too detailed. It is meant mainly as a reference so readers get a sense of where they are in the land. I have a self made map that can be used as a guide.

Style: A fantasy map along the lines of Tolkien's map of Middle Earth. Black and white is fine but if the artist has suggestions to improve the final look I'm open to suggestions.

Quality/Size:
    I'm looking for professional quality and a map able to fit on two facing pages (5 1/2 by 7) seems to be the standard novel size. The map will be used in books (print and ebook) and may appear on my website.

Time Constraints:
    Two to three months or what the cartographer feels appropriate.

Payment:
    I'm hoping to get some quotes but wish to say I'm aware a map like this will cost a couple hundred dollars.

Copyright:
    I would like full copyright to the image. The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of a portfolio.

If you are interested please contact me at: warloxx at comcast.net. (get rid of the spaces and substitute at for @)

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rich

Guild Apprentice

I sent you an email

I sent you an email!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

You've got mail.

Thanks to everyone for the many responses. I have hired a cartographer. Impressive stuff out there.

Rich