Quote Originally Posted by zukeprime View Post
Arsheesh, I'm trying to develop a specific technique for making cliffs using your method. I think it's working ok, but wanted to see if you've got a better technique... I think I can utilize this for my mapping project, but wanted to ping you or anyone else on a different or better technique?

I think I can implement this into your tutorial flow during the blending phase. Instead of blending directly onto the LAND BUMPS layer, use a transparent layer on top to do the blending. Then, you can cut a 'hard edge' on your cliff area, with a distinct light (top of cliff) and dark (bottom of cliff) transition. I'll see if it works.
I recently had to make a plateau in one of my maps and I used a method almost exactly similar to the one you've employed here. Just added an additional layer, rendered fractal clouds in it, used the curves function (under "Colors") to lighten the clouds, isolated the boundary areas of the plateau and deleted the rest, and then blended the edges of the plateau a bit. So yes, I think you are on the right track here. Be curious to see an update of this.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh