Hello! So I finally decided to get into using inkscape (at the moment I am very inexperienced) to make maps. I also registered an account here, as it seems an appropriate place to share my maps.

Do note, that this map, and the lore behind it, are quite WIP and subject to sweeping changes at any time. Also, be warned, that the map is massive, at 4,000 by 4,000 pixels.

Click here to see the map.

Context
At the time this map was published, two main factions -- the United Galactic Systems (UGS) and its separatist offshoot, the Commonwealth of Sovereign Systems (CSS) -- have entered a ceasefire following outbreaks of an unknown disease and/or alien lifeform that has utterly paralysed and destroyed many fringe systems. Although the USS was quick to accuse the UGS of using weapons of mass destruction on an unprecedented level in the history of the galaxy, the accusations quickly ended when the UGS' core shipyards fell to the tide. A ceasefire quickly followed -- the Armistice of Gansovia, which brought an immediate end to hostilities -- and the New Vohol Accords established the de-militarised zone, terminated all hyperlanes leading into the affected areas, as well as allowing for an immediate joint cooperation in resisting further spread, and reclaiming "lost" regions.

The DMZ
The DMZ contains the largest number of fully-independent states in the galaxy, and was formed as a result of the New Vohol Accords. Previously, most systems in the DMZ were aligned with the CSS. Following the New Vohol Accords, most hyperlanes that crossed the DMZ demarcation line were terminated. Moving ships into the sovereign territory of either power is thus made more difficult.

The CSS
The CSS is a mostly homogeneous grouping of planets in open revolt against the UGS. Although not all systems are fully integrated with the CSS -- enojying varying degrees of autonomy -- they all operate as a single bloc, with one fleet, one army, and generally common policies all across the board.

The UGS
The UGS are a Holy Roman Empire-esque collection of states that are neither integrated, nor independent. The majority of systems -- especially many of the core worlds that form the backbone of UGS manufacturing, industry, and production, as well as the largest population centres -- have a large degree of autonomy, to the point where some systems could be regarded as de-facto independent. Nevertheless, many systems in the outer region, as well as the capital itself, are directly administered by the UGS. The largest collection of these directly administered systems became the CSS upon a mass declaration of independence.