So I want to make a realistic historical map of southern England showing the system of Roman highways built between 43-410 AD as well as rivers like the Thames and cities/towns like London and Exeter. Right now I've found two ways to do this, each with their own problems, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any better ways to go about this task.

The first way to do this that I know of is to use the real world data that comes with FT3 to map the entire Earth and then zoom in on England and export to CC3. The problem here is that because I'm zooming in so far, the map ends up really pixilated and low quality. Also the prime meridian shows up as an annoying black line running north-south through east England, which also sucks. So basically this method is unusable at this small of a scale unless there's better data available somewhere. I'm sure there is better data available, but I don't know how/where to find it. Could anyone point me to such real world data of England that I could use in FT3 or CC3?

The other method that I know of I haven't tried yet because it would cost me $40. I could buy the August issue of ProFantasy's "the Cartographer's Annual 2014," which details how to take real world vector data from the Natural Earth public domain repository and import it into CC3 overland maps. This would probably work perfectly for my needs, except perhaps for one thing: since I'm making a historical map, I thought it might be cool to give it an authentic-ish old parchment look, which I'm not sure I could do with that data. The ProFantasy website says, "The included mapping guide... also goes into detail on how to apply different drawing styles to the imported maps and how continue working after the initial import." Would "different drawing styles" include making the maps look like old parchment maps? Would this data give me enough small scale detail to create a map of southern England? I'm not completely opposed to spending $40 to make this map, if there are no other decent options, but if I do I want to know that my purchase will be useful for this project.

Here's a link to the August issue of the Annual 2014: http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2014/august14.html

There's also the May 2012 issue, which looks like it could help. Would one of these better for my needs than the other? http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/may12.html