Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
I know Gameprinter uses Xara.
Yes, he gets amazing results with it, but I checked it out years ago and it was a few miles out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by Sam101 View Post
Krita has nicer brush engines (more than one!)than Gimp and non-destructive filter layers (like PS adjustment layers).
That is really helpful info! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
I prefer Krita for free software, I think it has allot more going for it then gimp though I can’t speak to the newest version of Gimp since all it wants to do is crash on my computer... and forgive me if I’m wrong but I believe Voolf uses Krita for his maps and he creates some of the nicest work on the forum so I think it’s worth a try. If I absolutely could not afford to keep up with my photoshop subscription (which is only 20 dollars a month Canadian) then I would shell out a few bucks for clip studio, and they have sales often enough so you can get it pretty cheaply if you’re patient.
Thanks! Yeah, the photoshop subscription isn't that *expensive* it's just that they won't unbundle it (I asked) and that ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by AzureWings View Post
Hearing all this is making me want to give Krita a try myself...

Regarding tablet lag Gidde, I haven't really noticed any significant tablet lag with either GIMP version (using a rather old Wacom Intuos Pro), except for whenever I move the pen from distant to close proximity with the tablet surface, or vice-versa (I got so used to keeping the tip near the surface at all times when drawing because of this that I almost forgot about it). I don't think that experience differed for me between 2.8 and 2.10 either.
Thanks! That tells me my lag issues are *me* not Gimp, which is valuable info

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
I have to have a look on Krita. I switched from Gimp to Artrage (pro) more than one year ago, I've never regretted my money and I mainly use it, except for some little annoying things (see below) I was at the beginning attracted by the paint tube and knife tool, but now I mostly use watercolors and ink pen. Concerning the feeling of drawing or painting, compared with Gimp, it is day and night. Beware however that, if Artrage rocks at digital painting it is not specially friendly for some mapmaking features: For example there is no mask layer (althought the stencil tool can be used at), the selection tool really s.cks (the selection "dots" can not be hidden, you can not extend or reduce the selection, etc.) and it has a very limited number of filters (but you can import some photoshop ones)
Oooooh, that sounds awesome! As a bonus, Artrage is on sale right now AND has an unlimited demo! Downloaded. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by KCRileyGyer View Post
The only issue is to make sure the tablet is turned on before opening Gimp. When compared to older Gimp tutorials, it is obvious there are some changes to the new version but the only thing I truly find as different (based on the tutorial that's a few years old) is the way the multiply in the layer mode behaves. I haven't had a chance to work out a workaround to that.
You know, that may be the key to the lag I had/have with Gimp! Thanks!!! I'll see what I can do about updating that old tut.

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
I do believe I was told Krita is better for use with a tablet, but I haven't used it and very rarely use gimp too.
Thanks!

Well after all this fantastic info, I have decided to download Gimp, Krita AND Artrage (at least the demo for now). Thank you so much everyone!!