Thread: The Continent of Vanor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Default The Continent of Vanor

So it has been an extremely long time since I have posted anything in this community.

When I was first drawn here by my desire to learn how to make fantasy maps (almost 9 years ago), I was completely amazed but the fact that there was a whole community of people with the same interest as me. Shortly after I was blown away, and simultaneously devastated by how supremely talented everyone here was. All I had was a rough drawing made with a Bic pen and some Crayola pencil crayons. Suddenly my map that I had been so proud of all of a sudden seemed shabby and juvenile. Thankfully, the anonymity of the internet protected my ego enough to not completely give up and I began pouring through posts and tutorials to try and learn how you all had created such beautiful maps.Slowly, I started to learn how to use Photoshop, and through the aid of some very talented, patient, and gracious artists, I began improving my map. It has gone through many, MANY, iterations and has stolen hundreds of hours of my life, but today I am cautiously pleased to say it is finished.

I am no artist. I can not draw or paint or even use Photoshop very well. What I have created, I have done so through trial and error, dumb luck, or perseverance, and mostly through the use of resources designed by actual accomplished artists and the mimicry of techniques I have seen used in all the amazing maps I have encountered in this community. Of these artists, none deserves more credit than Ramah. When I first laid eyes on his map of Vaniya, I was immediately enamored with the style. So much so that I reached out and gained permission to use his brushes. Ramah, without you I would never have gone anywhere with this map. I firmly believe that. I can't thank you enough.

There's not much to say about the backstory for this map. This started out as a campaign world for a D&D campaign, evolved into a world I had intended to write a book about, and has morphed into something unrelated to both. I guess I still hope to write a book based in this world some day but in 9 years the only thing I have worked on relative to the book is this map.

I have always been drawn to maps, particularly fantasy maps, but I have also always enjoyed geography, anthropology, history, and language (though I only speak English). I borrowed heavily from real world cultures when designing the world, and real world places when naming. You will see Nordic, Celtic, Baltic, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Germanic influences. Some place names were taken from google maps and changed slightly, some were just straight -up stolen, some were created by mashing some words together using google translator, some are borrowed from popular culture and some are just made up. I apologize if I have butchered your language. Forgive my ignorance, I intend no disrespect.

Anyways, I don't know what else to say (I've said enough already). I can answer any questions as they come and am always open to criticism and suggestions.

tl;dr Hi again! Here's my map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VanorS.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	8.61 MB 
ID:	111244
    Last edited by Locution; 11-04-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added a lower res image.
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under the Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.