Thread: Converting GIS Data to Map for Editing

Guild Applicant

Default Converting GIS Data to Map for Editing

Does anybody have any good thoughts on actually converting GIS data to an editable format? I'm currently working from GIMP.

The website I'm pulling from is: http://www.county.peterborough.on.ca...mation-systems

My main thought is I want to use the basic river system layout, and I'd prefer it to be accurate, for a D&D game that I'm working on. I've grabbed a few other maps from photocopies and tried scanning them but they never end up quite right. I'm attempting to change the look of the map into a more old hand drawn style using a few of the tutorials here. Biggest issue seems to be getting the image in an easily usable format.

Edit: The rough scale I'm looking for is around 1:120000, which is enough detail for what I want to show.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 12-28-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Other thought.

Hopefully someone else with more experience might help, but this is what I know, I use QGIS to imports shape files, then can save them out as dwg then open in My vector program, Adobe illustrator. Hope that might help, QGIS is free

Blog Entries

this is a biggie so....
    What format is the data in ?????
    as in what is the file extension ?

for almost ALL formats you will need GDAL or a gui like Qgis

ArcGis is the most used program and most common format ( think of it as the Adobe of GIS software)

and gis image data is 16 bit signed ( -32767 to +32768 ) or 32 bit floating point normally in Meters height

or

if it is not topography ( height data) it is SVG vector data

gimp 2.8 is ONLY a 8 bit /layer program but can import SVG
    for 16 bit and 32 bit data the DEVELOPMENT gimp 2.9.2 is needed
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Applicant

As far as I know its not straight GIS data from the topography/survey data. I can probably grab it as an SVG file without too much trouble, the site I'm pulling from allows export as a variety of formats include PNG and TIFF. My main concern is that I can get the raw GIS data which might be more usable for my purposes. If I can get free software to at least import GIS data then that would be perfect. I just had no idea such a thing existed.

Biggest issue seems to be getting the image in an easily usable format.
    And what format(s) are you looking for?

Blog Entries

@ Beleriphon

I had a look at the County of Peterborough GIS website.
    As far as I can see, It does not allow to download "raw" GIS data (vector, raster, tables), but it only allow to print pdf files or download low quality images.
    By the way, I think you could get a pdf file and then open it in GIMP. I have used this method many other times.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    @ Beleriphon

I had a look at the County of Peterborough GIS website.
    As far as I can see, It does not allow to download "raw" GIS data (vector, raster, tables), but it only allow to print pdf files or download low quality images.
    By the way, I think you could get a pdf file and then open it in GIMP. I have used this method many other times.
    You are a scholar and a gentleman. That's perfect. I hadn't even realized that GIMP opened PDF files.