Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Feb/Mar 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Little Boy's Christmas Train

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Thanks Nidhoggr, I'm glad you like it!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected JustinSlick's Avatar

Hah this was such a great idea. I love the labels you came up with, and I think the new track has improved the feel.

Also, hey Mount Vernon! Man, Skagit is so pretty, I don't get down there enough.

Oh, I'm liking your last update a lot. The tracks are about a million times better than before!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yes, the new tracks give it the right look.

Thanks everyone,

I gotta admit, I like it better now too. Thank you all for pushing me to do this. I had to mess with settings in my program that I would never have messed with before and really push myself to find a solution to the track problem. It may seem simple but for me it really wasn't because it had to have the right feel to it. I had to hand draw the entire tracks and get them to fade properly as well as be the right scale (and I am terrible at drawing). It was an interesting exercise.

@JustinSlick: I feel really lucky about where I live because I've travelled a lot and I keep coming back here because of it's natural beauty. It is one of the few places in the world that I have been where I can travel for 15 minutes in one direction and I see the ocean, and then turn around and travel 15 minutes in another direction and you are in the mountains. It's a really cool place to live. (For those curious as to what I am talking about, google Skagit Valley Washington and look at the pictures. It is gorgeous here all year long.)
    Last edited by Tonnichiwa; 02-26-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected JustinSlick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    It is one of the few places in the world that I have been where I can travel for 15 minutes in one direction and I see the ocean, and then turn around and travel 15 minutes in another direction and you are in the mountains.
    Yeah, exactly this! Washington in general is a cool place for someone interested in cartography because of the outrageous amount of geographical diversity, but the valley in particular always makes me grin because I swear there are a few spots where you can see the Cascades, Olympics, and San Juan archipelago in single panorama--it feels like you can see all of Western WA.

Well, I just realized that I never did call this one done so that is what I am doing now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234