Thread: Redland Bay

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Redland Bay

I just finished the ink work on a map of my parents neighbourhood, highlighting the local forested areas and some memorable things that happened in their local area. I need to draw in the title and shad in the south-east corners of the trees and lightly tint the parks.

For this project I want to limit myself to sepia so shading with water colour sepia will be key. I am not so happy with the roads and am thinking that I should make those the most darkly shaded tones (to hide some of the poor inking.). Do you think this will detract from the overall image? There are also some parts of the area that climb. I was thinking of tinting these rises with a light shade of sepia to indicate some degree of gradient before the terrain flattens off again. Do you think this would look good?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

~Scott
    Google Maps location

20160704_155443.jpg
    20160704_155415.jpg

That looks great! I love the details along the coastline, the scale, the compass rose, and the trees look fabulous. The little illustrations are a wonderful touch, great perspective on that house illustration!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wow, fantastic start! What size is it overall?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Josiah PE and ChickPea. I'm working on a piece of A1 off white card.

I am about to start shading the map. I am not sure what colour to go for the roads. I have provided 3 options in the image below. I would love your feedback on which one you think is the most appropriate.

20160706_075306.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donald View Post
    I am about to start shading the map. I am not sure what colour to go for the roads. I have provided 3 options in the image below. I would love your feedback on which one you think is the most appropriate.

20160706_075306.jpg

Cheers,

Scott
    That's a difficult decision, without being able to see a much larger portion of the map with the various shadings...

If it was a digital map, it would be a non-issue, as you can simply delete a layer and start over if you don't like it. But for something like this, well... you can always go darker, but not lighter, unless you painted over the dark with a very thick white or lighter colour. So, I guess I'd recommend starting with number 3. Do a significant portion of the map with that and see if you like it. If not, then try 2 next, etc.

Oh, or... you could scan a portion of the map (or take a good top-down photo) and test it out digitally first!

Great map BTW! I really like your trees and the illustration inserts.
    Last edited by Neyjour; 07-05-2016 at 06:57 PM.

My feeling is lighter would be better, so 2 or 3 perhaps. But it's difficult without seeing 'the big picture'. Neyjour's comment about starting light makes a lot of sense. You'll probably be able to tell, after colouring a small area, whether a lighter shade is working or not.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Neyjour, I took your advice and took a photo of it and played with the colours in Gimp. This was incredibly helpful. Thank you. After puddling around I went back to the piece. This is the final result. I am going to see if I can find somewhere who does large size scanning in my area so I have a better picture for the boards.

20160707_195853.jpg

~Scott