Thread: Help with Gimp - drawing squares !

Blog Entries

Default Help with Gimp - drawing squares !

I know many of you are experts in Gimp and I have an issue that I hope somebody can find a solution to.

In my work I need to draw little black squares on a white background. The thing is I want those squares to be of specific pixel size. So if I start with a blank white image with black as my foreground colour and white as background then how do I draw a 50 pixel square. As in 50 pixels by 50 pixels.

Thats it. Sounds simple right ?

I dont want to have to count the pixels by hand on some zoomed up image. I don't want to create a large black canvas and then crop it to 50x50 and then use that as a brush. I need a fast way of painting those squares then say to change to 30x30 and paint some more and then 85x85 etc.

In my old Paint Shop Pro it was dead easy. When you selected square brush and set it size to 50 it was 50. But its not so in Gimp.

Anyone help ?
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-24-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Hey Redrobes!

After experimenting with this for about twenty minutes, I think I've found the solution, assuming I've correctly understood what you want.

I created a 1 pixel brush, which you can download here. Just copy it into your Gimp brushes folder (should be "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes") and press the refresh button or restart gimp, and it believe it should be called "Rectangle" in your brushes. Using the pencil tool or something of the like, set the size and voila! It should be the size you set it.

Don't know why they didn't make it easier.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Ok that sounds like a goer ! I'll try that. I cant understand why its not incredibly easy either. I cant be bothered to submit a bug report to gimp over it but I can see how having it scale up a loaded up brush might work where scaling the built in one does not.
    Thanks !