Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kaherm (an attempt to revitalize old map)

Listening to some stirring music usually helps me get by the boring bits... but then... I'm as mad as a hatter, so this may not work for everyone! LOL!

A really beautiful map Voolf! I like the "torstanian" style you achieved here. Great to hear you completely worked with krita on it (i experienced similar problems with the text functions in the program, that's why i came back to good old gimp...). Keep up the good work.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    A really beautiful map Voolf! I like the "torstanian" style you achieved here. Great to hear you completely worked with krita on it (i experienced similar problems with the text functions in the program, that's why i came back to good old gimp...). Keep up the good work.
    "torstanian" style .... Yes, I must admit, i learn a great deal from his tutorials, i just hope i won't be in his shadow all the time :/. I am glad you like my map. You say you come back to Gimp for the labels? Unfortunately i find gimp as poor with text as Krita. The only plus for me is Gimp doesn't slow down the process, which already is a hude advantage over Krita, must say.

Ok, i worked on labels. I noticed when i did the labels i had dark brounish color picked, so the text was also in that colour. That was the main reason why it was so hard to read (at least to me) and that is why i did such a big halo. After changing the colour to black i left just a subtle halo and then add some glow just to some of the labels. I also changed the colour of the labels placed on sea. Sea is dark, so naturally it was better to make the text bright. It looks much better now.... i think.

I could not figured out what can i add to border, so insead i drew some extra 'shield' emblems of the most major countries. The emblems are my interpretation of their descriptions that i found in "Blood" RPG handbook. I think they look cool, but not sure if they fit the map. What you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaherm_update.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	89549

I hope i can mark this one done and move it to the "Finished Maps" section, if you don't mind
    Last edited by Voolf; 11-19-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Awesome map. Some, make that most of you, are so bloody talented it makes me wonder what I'm doing here!

Hey Mouse, what do you consider stirring music? I've got iTunes blasting heavy metal - the good, classic stuff if you don't mind, at the moment.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

What a stunning looking map! Again the detail without seeming cluttered. Why can't I get that right?

Stirring music? I'd have said The Loving Spoonful, Little Mix or perhaps even Soupertramp :p

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Ok, i worked on labels. I noticed when i did the labels i had dark brounish color picked, so the text was also in that colour. That was the main reason why it was so hard to read (at least to me) and that is why i did such a big halo. After changing the colour to black i left just a subtle halo and then add some glow just to some of the labels. I also changed the colour of the labels placed on sea. Sea is dark, so naturally it was better to make the text bright. It looks much better now.... i think.

I could not figured out what can i add to border, so insead i drew some extra 'shield' emblems of the most major countries. The emblems are my interpretation of their descriptions that i found in "Blood" RPG handbook. I think they look cool, but not sure if they fit the map. What you think?

I hope i can mark this one done and move it to the "Finished Maps" section, if you don't mind
    Those labels are a huge improvement... in fact you've gone so far in the right direction with them that you might just need to increase the glow a bit around the Gorth Mountains and Loth Desert labels, where the letters cross the equally black ink lines. But that's a very tiny nit-pick. Otherwise (and IMHO) excellent

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hey Mouse, what do you consider stirring music? I've got iTunes blasting heavy metal - the good, classic stuff if you don't mind, at the moment.
    Anything really - I have an exceptionally wide taste in music. One day its Chopin, or Beethoven Symphony no 7, the next its Abba or Led Zeplin. Film music is a big theme in my collection, and music from the 60s, 70s, 80's, 90's.... Anything goes, as long as it gets the creative juices flowing. That's what it's really all about

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Awesome map. Some, make that most of you, are so bloody talented it makes me wonder what I'm doing here!
    I kinda know what you feel. This was one of the reasons why i didn't join forum for a long time. Every time i saw gorgeous maps posted by people here (anywhere for that matter) , i wept seeing my poor attempts to draw anything. It took me long time to develop my skills from child sketch to this map. But i can tell you, if you love mapping, never back off.

Personally for me this forum has two merits. One is that you can find many tutorials which will help you learn, that is kinda obvious. The second is by far the greatest of all. This forum is unlimited mine of motivation and inspiration. Motivation is the engine that will keep you going no matter the results, without it you probably feel down after some trials of fail drawing and leave it. This is the worst what can happen. We are getting better with practice, but its slow process, if we dont practice and try new things we never learn anything new. I have found this motivation here among all fellow guildmembers, who always lend you a hand, no matter how amateur your map may be. It is increadible for me, i feel like in a big supporting family here

Quote Originally Posted by Straf
    What a stunning looking map! Again the detail without seeming cluttered. Why can't I get that right?
    I used to overdoo details too (still do and have to erase many times). What helped me, was slowly painting everything with low opacities and build up shadow and colours. I know it is not much of a help, but there is beauty in miniamalism, sometimes its better to plaint less than more.

About the music - I love chiiling tunes of Chillstep when i draw my maps, or anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Those labels are a huge improvement... in fact you've gone so far in the right direction with them that you might just need to increase the glow a bit around the Gorth Mountains and Loth Desert labels, where the letters cross the equally black ink lines. But that's a very tiny nit-pick. Otherwise (and IMHO) excellent
    Thanks, i will add that glow.
    Last edited by Voolf; 11-19-2016 at 09:10 AM.

This is one of the nicest maps all around, beautiful color, forests, mountains, ribbons, icons. The only thing I not totally in love with is the treatment of the type. I just think type on an angle doesn't look as pleasing as on a slight arc. I'm also confused with the type sizes hierarchy but that aside I really really love this map well done!!!!

I haven't really been following this, but this is looking absolutely beautiful! I love the style. Forest, mountains, cites, everything is great! The fire island is especially fantastic. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456