Thread: Nagenhof : First attempt at a city map

Guild Novice

Wip Nagenhof : First attempt at a city map

My first attempt at a city map.
    I did try to follow some of the great tutorials found in this forum.
    The results are ... lets be polite and say that it is still "Work In Progress".

The starting point was this quick schema done by our GM. It's the city of Nagenhof (warhammer) in all its glorious filth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nagenhof plan.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	90240

The first "good enough to show" map was a rough layout of what I tried to do with it.
    I was not very happy with the roads (too big) and the houses (too small).
    The main issue was with relative scale between the different objects. Something that is still not solved in the latest WIP version, and that might never be.

Name:	nagenhoff WIP1.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	90241

I added some effects and a first attempt at an "handmade" castle.

Name:	nagenhoff WIP2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	90243

I've redone the roads and tried a new method for the houses. It looked better but something is still wrong with the relative scale.

Name:	nagenhoff WIP3.0.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	90244

Then here is the latest WIP version.
    I've started to replace some of the random buildings with brushes' building I've found all around the net.
    Side note : I've done so many search for such items that I forgot where I found them. If you recognize any of your creation here, please ping me so that I can give you proper reconnaissance.
    Also done some play with shadows and trees.

Name:	nagenhoff WIP3.4.1 shadows.png 
Views:	211 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	90242

So far I've used only GIMP with a mouse.
    I'll wait a bit to do the next WIP version of this map (you know, Santa may have something help me).

My plan is to hand-draw the buildings instead of re-using (shamefully stealing) other's work (but the windmill is 100% mine ).

Guild Apprentice

I like what you are doing with the map. The road network strikes me first as being well done. It looks like the inner ring was the old city and possibly had the old city walls, but were eventually taken down in favor of the current placement of the walls (much like Wall St in Manhattan). Then the other streets branch off of the main thoroughfares in a haphazard/organic fashion, it really gives the look of the organic evolution of a settlement.

If you are concerned at all about scale, I dont think you should be. If you keep the scale of the buildings you have in the South, I think it will make the (what I assume to be) warehouse district to the north of the city look to scale.

I look forward to watching this one progress
    "I've heard that before, from the thing I said just now" Stephen Hughes