Thread: New to the group

Guild Novice

Default New to the group

Discovered the Cartographic Guild a short time ago. Decided it would be a good fit for me. A little about myself. I'm a retired cartographer with 40 years experience, mostly in commercial thematic mapping. After retirement , I started to dabble in art using Artrage and this grew into a couple of attempts to draw digital maps. Artrage is an great program but it is very time consuming for producing maps. Then I found Campaign Cartography. It looks a lot easier to use. My purpose will not to make fantasy maps but ones depicting the real world. Any tips I can pick up will be most welcome.

Hello again, whynot - and welcome again

I couldn't see this thread earlier when I answered your introduction in the Campaigning Cartographers Group. I think the first five posts you make have to be approved by a Community Leader - to stop spammers from overrunning the site, though I can't be sure about that.

You also asked how to upload images to the group, and I pointed out the Add Photo button, but it might not be visible to you yet because you have only made one post so far by starting this thread in the public forums. (the two posts you made to the group don't count, it seems)

As I said in the group earlier the main styles that come with CC3 are tuned towards fantasy mapping, but there are several traditional styles in the CC3 annuals, including a John Speed style. (The annuals, by the way, are purchased separately).

If you have a particular style in your mind's eye that isn't expressed closely enough by any of the annuals it isn't too difficult to create your own style, with your own symbols and your own textures, though I would recommend getting a copy of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping by Remy Monsen before you start, since it gives instructions on how to do just about anything with CC3

And if you choose to go down that route but have trouble getting hold of the right kind of seamless textures I can probably help you with that myself if you show me what it is that you want.

The best way to learn things is just to get started on a map, and show progress shots of it by starting a new thread in the relevant Work In Progress forum, where we can hopefully provide you with helpful suggestions and answer your questions
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-21-2017 at 03:28 AM.

That is cool! Welcome!
    If you wont make fantasy maps I will, there needs to be balance in the universe!
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Welcome to the guild! I'd really love to see some of your older maps!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM