Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June / July '18 Lite Challenge: Apollo 11 Flight Profile

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I really appreciate your choice of journey! I love the chalkboard look and the little details, like the tap holding the picture to the board.

I went ahead and annotated the different parts of the flight profile. I also took the liberty of removing the outlines of the Earth and the Moon(s). Originally, I liked to have a clean border for each, but the more I looked at it the more I didn't think it fit the rest of the map. I've never had a teacher that could draw a perfect circle, so I shouldn't be able to either.

A bunch of you asked for craters on the Moon(s). I thought about how I wanted to do them, and I couldn't settle on anything I liked. Then I thought about what I would do if I were actually drawing with real chalk. The answer was simply to erase the parts of the chalk where the craters would go. I just made a really soft round brush and set the opacity to pressure. Then I just drew some curves as if I was wiping the chalk away with my finger.

There was something else I felt was missing but I didn't know what. I thought about this for awhile too, until I realized that chalkboards often have traces of whatever was written on them previously. I created a new layer and drew out some calculus equations (I felt that math equations fit the scientific theme). I then set my eraser to Photoshop's sponge brush and gently erased the text. After a few passes, it started to feel more like a chalkboard that had been recently used.

### Latest WIP ###
    JuneJuly2018_ChallengeLite_WIP3.jpg

I'm starting to feel pretty good about it as a whole. Part of me wishes that I had gone with a different style, but it doesn't bother me enough to start over. Let me know if there's anything that could be improved or any additions I should make!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

This looks great! The details you've added make for a very convincing chalkboard. I especially like the mostly-erased equations.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    This looks great! The details you've added make for a very convincing chalkboard. I especially like the mostly-erased equations.
    Thanks! I'm glad I added them.

Wow, it's super realistic, Alfanso !! Every detail is well thought, like the 'finger-erased" marks on the moon(s). And I second Aeshnidae about the semi-erased equations : they're brilliant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12