Thread: Miel, Later Known As (+ Campaign/Worldbuilding Sketches)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cassil (+ Campaign Sketches/Battlemaps/Isometric)

Hello, few days ago I started a campaign setting/ worldbuilding mini sketchbook-journal (only 22 pages A5), and (finally) try to put the world into a map. This map is not at all final and might tweak the placements of cities/ think more about climates and repercussions of mountain ranges. The swirly bits are for storms/prohibitive weather so that the people there can't go to the other side/ think theirs a flat world. Much more likely it's a satellite of a gas giant and tidally locked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mielmap1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	108727

So the actual size of that picture is like 8 x 12cm (3.1 x 4.7"), made with gel-pen and fountain pen (+ ink). I'm thinking of blowing it up to a bigger size (35x50 or 50x70 cm) and do it renaissance map like.. maybe? I have this dusky-brown paper that I think would look good for the setting (apocalyptic renaissance steampunk), and if needed can pull out the gold/copper leafs as well (or paint, we'll see). I'm still not sure how to incorporate the steampunky bits (other than airships), and the cities listed are just the 'starter cities'...

This being a setting where campaign/games/oneshots might happen I'll label the places digitally/ so there's some room for improv, but large map will be made with paper, ink and paints.

There are sketches too in the journal, will probably update with them:

Name:	miel-gajdra.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	108728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miel-guir.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	108729

C&C always appreciated!
    Last edited by Arhan; 08-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Finished Maps: OakfallHand-drawn Battlemaps

The sketches look really nice. There's just enough detail to kickstart the imagination, but it's vague enough to let each viewer fill in the gaps themselves. Kinda looks like old-timey concept art

That is really gorgeous ! The sanguine effect works really well ! The only critique I could say would be about the size. I'd really love to see it bigger. A quick question : Why are the seas changing so abruptly at the edges of the map ?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh wow, that's really gorgeous and appealing!

Wonderful, Arhan ! I'm totally in love with your style, and for various reasons, totally jealous too ! ^^

Wow! Your skill and decisiveness with pen and ink is incredible. what fantastic results

These are lovely, though I have to echo Thomas's comment... I'd love to see a bigger size so we can appreciate them more!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thankyou! I was a bit out because was planning the first session taking place in the setting. I need to draw like-- 3 screens (static background/ environment), one of them trying isometric grid room below, 4 battlemaps (3 of them cisterian/medieval abbey floor plans) and portraits for tokens (about 12?). Making isometric room(s) and battlemaps are both harder and easier than I expected, was considering making a new thread in the battlemap section (should I?) but gonna put it here for a bit. Also decided on a name for the world.. how to change thread title..?

Larger pen-map, as requested

Name:	cassil-mappen.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	109264

Lineart/clean sketch of the isometric room (a social climber high medieval-renaissance village head's living/receiving room. He tries to look cultured, but-- not very succesful)

Name:	villaheadroom-test.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	109265
    Finished Maps: OakfallHand-drawn Battlemaps

Very nice work!

Totally jealous of your sketch work, it's so defined, but retains its roughness somehow. Love!