Thread: G'day All.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Wade Dyer's Avatar

Question G'day All.

Hello all.
    I've been a long time on-and-off-again lurker.

I'm an RPG publisher and over the last year I've discovered that I 'really' like making maps. The maps in my earlier books were a little simple, but over time I've developed a real passion for the art and I'm keen to improve my skills and push myself.

I have a mixture of WIP and completed maps that I would like to get people thoughts on... but I'm not sure where to start as I have 5 ongoing projects (sci-fi, dieselpunk, fantasy, gothic city and pirate maps). Would slowly starting WIP threads for each project be the best thing to do? I dont want to impose myself on the community here.

Here are some samples of my work:

Video of a pirate map I made.
    - This is not my favorate map from this collection, but it was a fun experiment to record myself work.

I'm also working on an endless city that goes on forever in every direction:
    - I'm currently working on a large number of supporting maps for this project (ie: close up on several locations).

This is a fantasy map that I put WAY to much work into.
    - I only have a few maps from this project, but I hope to do more once I'm done with my other maps.
    -------------
    Fragged Empire RPG.

Howdy Wade! Welcome and great introduction. You've got some nice work there.

Praise

Looking good Wade Dyer!

By the way, are you using a mouse to draw those lines? You might consider getting your hands on a cheap drawing tablet, since that would allow you to taper your lines so you don't have to resort to changing the thickness halfway through a river. You can just gradually change the pressure of your pen as you go along, and your lines will automatically become thicker/thinner. Would work wonders on those mountains too.

I know purchasing a tablet for just one map sounds a bit silly, but know that there's options out there that don't break the bank: the cheapest one I could find (in a one-minute run) was just about 25$, although I'd personally recommend to go for something a little more than that. Check out this page to get an idea of what's out there. If you decide to go for it and give it a spin, I'm sure you'll wonder why you ever hesitated getting it. I for one wouldn't even want to begin drawing a map with just a mouse!

Other than that though, I really like the layout of your map, AND your linework. Keep it up!

Wow, this is really impressive stuff! Allow me to be the first one to rep you!

And I should think creating WIP threads for your ongoing projects is more than okay, that is what the WIP forum sections are there for. You'll find separate areas for Regional/world maps, city maps, and so on and so forth, just post your WIP's in the corresponding areas and you'll be good to go. Don't stress, this is a fairly relaxed community, even if something accidentally gets posted where it doesn't exactly belong, nobody is going to lynch you for it

So glad to have you along, I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Welcome to the Guild!

-Kell
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I really like the style of your work. Your endless city map in particular is gorgeous.

I will be watching for your wip threads for certain!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Wade Dyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dolche View Post
    Looking good Wade Dyer!
    By the way, are you using a mouse to draw those lines? You might consider getting your hands on a cheap drawing tablet…
    Hi Dolche. I actually do use a tablet for some parts of my process. I have an old Intuos 3 that I purchased way back in high school. I’m not very good with it and I have this bad habit of just brute forcing my way through my work with simple techniques rather than trying to learn/develop new techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Wow, this is really impressive stuff! Allow me to be the first one to rep you!
    And I should think creating WIP threads for your ongoing projects is more than okay, that is what the WIP forum sections are there for…
    Thanks Kell! I’m not sure what a “rep” is (I’m guessing it’s that green bar under my name), but thank you I look forward to showing more of my work with people.
    You have some very nice work in your portfolio, I’m also a graphic designer.
    -------------
    Fragged Empire RPG.

Very nice work. Welcome to the guild.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome! And I shall also bonk you with the rep stick, for posting maps in your intro

Guild Expert

These look great Wade, and welcome to the Guild I can’t wait to see more of you’re maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Dyer View Post
    Thanks Kell! I’m not sure what a “rep” is (I’m guessing it’s that green bar under my name), but thank you I look forward to showing more of my work with people.
    You have some very nice work in your portfolio, I’m also a graphic designer.
    Oh, thank you! And yes, that would be your rep bar. You can give rep to posts you deem worthy of it (usually the ones that have maps you like) by clicking the star icon at the end of someone's post
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.