Thread: Yer Samoht (personal project)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho42 View Post
    looks fantastic at the moment!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice mix ! I can trace some inspiration, I think...
    I love the labels and the forests, as well as the general feeling !
    Thank you JO.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Hmm... Let me guess...?
    Yes that one inspired me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Now I'm just curious, and sorry if I broke a kind of taboo but... If you mention you used references for styles, why not identify them clearly ? That would be fair and really appreciated.
    I know it's something often kept under the rug here, and I hate being the one talking about it, but... Imitation can be a compliment. Imitation helps a lot to progress. But when a style is imitated/used/stolen without credits, especially for commissions, it's such a pain for those who created them. Not the spirit of the Guild for me. I also know I'm not the only one thinking like this, but no-one dare to talk, since the Guild is precious to everyone of us
    I usually do, especially if I follow explicitly one map of somebody else. That was true to Jonathan Robert's maps which i learned a great deal, then Ross McConnell battlemaps, then John Stevenson, Mike Schley, Max... the list goes on.

I usually skip that when I want to do something new and i gather a lot of inpirational pieces and put them together as a reference. For this particular piece it was your map (as stated above), B&W Inkmap by Mar_r, The Lands of Cha-Uari and Forgotten Ruin by J.E., Shall Teclex maps like Province of Lyria and Sword Coast, a map from Banner Saga game, Westedge Kingdoms by SylvaKnight.

I did get a lot from your maps making this one, so my deepest apology if you feel offended somehow. But please remember, that there are a lot of people out there making similar things. Art can be stolen, but style? unless its a 100% copy of particular art, I do not thnk so. You would have to sue a lot of people for drawing in the same style as others
    A lot of people here follow others and we know our work and "borrow" ideas for next maps. I do not have problem when others are saing they will use some ideas from my maps for their own. I have seen people asked if they can use a style of something for their maps, I asked myself and the usual response is "sure go ahead".
    I did not realised that this is a taboo topic here, is it?. If someone else feels that way please do say. I remember we had other problems here. Sometimes related to specific persons, posts were moderated and deleted, but that old times
    Last edited by Voolf; 08-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee