Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exalted Map (West) - Yet Unnamed

Wip Exalted Map (West) - Yet Unnamed

I will shortly start up an online Exalted Campaign 1on1 with a friend of mine and we came to agree that we would play in the West of Creation.

For those not in the know, the West in that world is a huge ocean with dozens of islands scattered about.

I created the below map and Intend to populate it with warring tribes.

It's currently still in it's infancy and as always I try a few things here and there, this time especially the water.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Also a question to my superiors in mapping: How to best integrate/create sandy beaches?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another question to those who know: How best to create a distance scale? My tries to create one with vector graphic programs and import them to my map always look... let's say horrible

What Rob said..... we need to know the software. However, what I generally do is in GIMP is to go the easy route. My maps are always going to be resolution divisible by 100, so I make a selection 100 or 200 px long on a new layer. One really cool thing about the selection tools is that you can select a starting point in x/y coordinates as well as hard code a length/height. So, after making the first selection and filling with black, I make a second selection starting at the same x/y as the original on a new layer and make it half the size and fill with white. The process takes perhaps 1 minute. Of course, if you wanted to make a scale bar with 4 segments out of 100 px, that would be easy to do also, just a few additional selections and poof, your done. Personal preference, I tend to like rounded corners on mine on both extreme edges, but again, thats just me....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I use Photoshop CS3. Started with Photoshop a few years ago and never quite got the hang of the GIMP...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

JFJr's suggestion for a scale should work in PS as well as GIMP.

Regarding beaches, depending on the scale of the map beaches may not even be visible.

You could add a sand colored stroke of a few pixels and then slightly blur it to merge it with the ocean.

Normally after making my generic land shape(s) I would create an entire layer of whatever color/texture I want be beach to be then add a layer on top of that with my grass color/texture.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I believe CS3 has some analysis tools. If you know the scale ratio--how many miles or feet to the pixel--you can tell Photoshop to generate a scale marker of a particular width and length.

Analysis > Place Scale Marker
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wip

Okay, thanks for the tips guys, I did some work and here's what came out so far.

Still not implemented:
    * Woods and Palms
    * Cities and Locations
    * Rivers

For informations sake it's an island-nation in a very southern climate, hot like hell and all. Normal temperatures around 30 to 40 °C

This is coming along pretty well. I can't wait to see more!

Wip

Update. One picture is for the Clans and their Territory, the other one is the map with rivers and stuff

Opinions? Criticism?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast