Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by davosaur View Post
    I'd like to get to a point where I'm not: A, following a recipe; and B, not just clicking randomly until I get the desired effect. In essence, I'm trying to understand in an intuitive way, what is going to happen before I do it. If that makes any sense.
    I think that's exactly the result you'll get from repeated practice with RobA's tutorial. Once you're beyond the formulaic approach to make that style of map, with repeated attempts, you start to pick up just what's going on, and how to get the effect you need.

Of course, if you happen to like the general style that RobA's tut produces, and what to hew to that as closely as possible, there's nothing wrong with that (... I mostly do, for sure)
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Map My Attempt at This Tutorial

Here is my attempt to follow this tutorial. I would like to thank RobA for writing this tutorial, it has been very helpful.

I had some trouble getting the mountains to look right, but they look okay. The names came from a random generator so, if you like any of them, you can use them.

The compass rose I did in a rush, so it looks kind of cheap.

Any advice would be great, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaefivn.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	12818  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me. I especially like how you're trying to learn something new with the wooden cartouche. Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Moonsea Map

First off, thanks to RobA for the great tutorial!

This is my second map I tried after -sort of- getting the hang of it.

I've learned more about GIMP in the last 2 days than I have in the last year.

Name:	Moonsea_Flat_Final.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	13028  
    Last edited by 4gent Or4nge; 05-04-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Uploaded new image

Nice map, 4gent Or4nge! You should devote a thread to it in the Finished Maps section of the board.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is really nice representation of RobA's tutorial...nice job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'll throw in as another impressed onlooker. I like the color changes, very subtle and easy on the eyes and the fonts look good too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Anyone have any advise on doing the bedevil effects on the rivers?

Guild Applicant

I stumbled across this while looking for some means of making a map for my minis, and I have to say that it is a great tutorial.

This was my nearly finished crack at it. I don't really like how the mountains turned out, nor do I really like the font (but I rushed that at the end).

Name:	Map2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	667.2 KB 
ID:	14138  

I think your mtns looks pretty good, I've seen a lot of fails with this style but yours look pretty dern cool.

Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast