Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct '17 Lite Challenge: Map The Caves of Chaos.

Guild Artisan

I couldn't agree more with you Mouse.

Guild Novice northerncartography's Avatar

I guess in the interest of fairness, all challengers should vote for their own, to level the playing field.
    “A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams.”
    - Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Support me here, if you'd like: https://www.patreon.com/northerncartography

Its all about freedom of choice

I've been very lucky. I've never been in the situation I described above. I've only ever been tail end, middle of the field, or way out in front, so its easy for me to just chatter on about it all because I've never had to make a tie breaking decision where one of my own maps was involved.

See how it goes. There are 3 days of voting, so there's plenty of time to consider the options.

Blog Entries

I used to not vote at all if I was an entrant but the general protocol seems to be that entrants do vote now and *generally* you dont vote for yourself but its not a rule. A long time ago we used to have one vote and cast it but what tended to happen is that everyone would vote for the one best map and you got lots of 0 votes for every other map. Or you got a situation where there was an even split of two maps getting all the votes and noone else got a look in.

We changed it so that we had multiple votes because although the best map still tends to come out on top the split of votes going down the rankings tends to be better when people put in the 2nd and 3rd choice. Even if people agree on the best map their second choices tend to differ and we get a nice spread to the results which is more useful to eveybody.

Now many people feel that they need to vote for every map that entered and finished but that is as bad as the one vote. So I would suggest to people that they vote for somewhere around a quarter or a third of the entrants with no specific amount but just not one or all of them unless you feel super convinced that only one deserved to be voted on or that you are putting in a kind of polite abstain to the voting league by voting for all of them.

So I am not saying vote this or that way, just that if everyone voted for more than a couple and less than half of the total then it gives the nicest spread statistically.

I've spent many happy hours musing over the choices on offer each time, and I usually try to keep to no more than half the field... though I do admit to the occasional 'blanket vote' where I vote for all the finished maps. That tends to happen where I really haven't been able to decide on a 'best of bunch' and they're all pretty good

EDIT: perhaps the important thing to remember if you are a participant and your map isn't getting voted for - do not under any circumstances believe that you are 'no good at this lark'. It happens to all of us from time to time - me included.

We all have our 'bad maps'. You've just got to try again. As it says in my signature "No one is ever a failure until they give up trying"
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-14-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Guild Artisan

I like that approach, Redrobes, the 1/4 to a 1/3 of the field seems about right.

Guild Artisan

And what is everyone from England doing up at this hour?

Oh! Didn't you know?

We're all VAMPIRES!

Mwa-haw-haw-haw

I generally won't vote for more than three maps. I try to look at my own maps honestly, and if I think it is in the top 3 (rarely), I'll vote for it. If it's not, then someone else gets the vote. There are so many in this particular contest, I really have no idea how I'll cast. I'll have to give them all--my own included--a long hard look before I settle on my picks.

Regardless, good luck to everyone! I don't participate in a lot of challenges any more unless they speak to me, and this one has been fun as hell to watch. I really love that so many others jumped in on this one too, and that regardless of who wins the compass, we all win a good piece of art!

-IG

All great comments everyone. I have my own opinions on the vote for yourself issue, but they apply only to me. Free choice is the Prime Directive. You vote the way YOU want to, your choice. And as for getting 0 votes, like Mouse said, it has happened to almost all of us at one time or another. Sure it stings a little, but just use it as a little incentive to try harder next time.
    Great maps everyone. I will be closing this down in about 1 to 2 hours.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast