Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Marraic

This is so cool JO!
    You are really getting better at cities. Every map brings something new.

Don't worry about the flaws too much. As John (and probably most of us) I see the flaws in my work too. I just accept them and know this is something I have to work on more.
    i recently browsed through my older maps and compared them to what I am doing now. It's hell of a gap. Try it. It helps you see how much you have progressed over the years.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Amazingly Fantastic! Worry not about small imperfections, as a whole it is great.

Another great and fantastic city ! I agree with the others, you've become very talented at doing those.
    And yup, we all focus on those little flaws... Some of us can't help to constantly redo the same maps just because of that .

Guild Member

Really awesome city! I particularly liked the docks on each end of the outer portion of the city. The ships are a nice extra touch! Just an altogether cool piece of work ion my opinion! I really enjoyed it!

Oh, that is SO pretty! I could see this kind of city in a video game, like Final Fantasy- or even Elder Scrolls. The details were gorgeous, and I loved the angle- I'm trying to draw a tiered city (with a LOT of failure on my part lmao), so seeing this is especially rewarding. Perspective is a complete insanity. I love the shading on the water too- the whole map is so uniform, it's just so aesthetically pleasing. Super gorgeous!!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    That's literally only the case BECAUSE your skillset is expanding. If you didn't know more, you would be unable to recognize what the flaws are, and instead just chalk them up to "something seems a bit off". Just because you haven't reached a point where you have the skill to correct those flaws doesn't mean you have not improved overall. Frustration because you can see what's wrong but not fix it... is pretty normal for the learning process, I think.

I do like the corrected version a bit better, yes.
    Thanks a lot Tiana, I like the way you're seeing things ! Very encouraging ! (and I'm glad you prefer the corrected version !)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I know what you mean. I see all the flaws in my own work.
    I have just gotten better at accepting them and continuing forward with new maps.

I make things that aren't successful, but just don't tend to show them much.
    In fact, I've just been practicing with heraldic stuff again, as well as little spot renderings of items and objects.
    Some were not great, but I'll probably show some of them. Always practicing and trying to expand on skills.
    Wise words ! I find it strange how not being satisfied with one's work is a kind of lack of humility? A priori, I always thought that being satisfied with oneself could be considered pride. In what you are telling me, I understand that you have to accept the flaws of your work and not reject the work itself, but also try to correct them in the next map... all this without getting discouraged... Apparently, the artistic path is a work on oneself to learn humility... a path to wisdom, in a way...

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    This is so cool JO!
    You are really getting better at cities. Every map brings something new.

Don't worry about the flaws too much. As John (and probably most of us) I see the flaws in my work too. I just accept them and know this is something I have to work on more.
    i recently browsed through my older maps and compared them to what I am doing now. It's hell of a gap. Try it. It helps you see how much you have progressed over the years.
    Thanks Voolf ! I'm so glad you like this work... I try for so long to achieve a map like one of yours or like one of John and each time I measure the long way to this distant goal... but I should also look back to my early work, just to see that "gap" !

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Amazingly Fantastic! Worry not about small imperfections, as a whole it is great.
    Thanks Bogie ! I know I often try to look at my map from a distance (literaly...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Another great and fantastic city ! I agree with the others, you've become very talented at doing those.
    And yup, we all focus on those little flaws... Some of us can't help to constantly redo the same maps just because of that .
    I know you've been doing that too, isn't it ? But sometime it's fun to redo an old map and measure things you've learn, no ?
    Thanks for your kind words !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast