Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Alemnia REDUX

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jizerai View Post
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
    And to you too, my good man! I say, hear hear! Pip pip cheerio.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    Great improvements!
    Cool!

Loved the first version. I like this one as well, though truth to tell the radar like lines and concentric circles radiating from the compass make this piece seem a bit busy. I think it would like cleaner without the concentric circles.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Loved the first version. I like this one as well, though truth to tell the radar like lines and concentric circles radiating from the compass make this piece seem a bit busy. I think it would like cleaner without the concentric circles.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    I almost agree with this.
    This is what I think:
    > Original Map
    >>> Lines emenating from Compass so far apart they do not obviously feel connected to my eye, but rather random
    > remade Map
    >>> Lines emenating from Compass spaced so close to each other and so many, that they make the map seem busy

Imho, a compromise between the two would be best

Great Map, both basically speak "Perfection to me," albeit I'll claim that the Text is a _little_ bit hard to read. Just a little.
    Making the map slightly larger, and having the text contrast stronger to the rest of the map (just a little) would be an improvement

Lovely stuff!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I think it would like cleaner without the concentric circles.
    I see your point. With continental/world maps, it's always a balancing act, because depending on the layout of the landmasses, you might have big areas of empty ocean contrasted with busy land areas full of topography and labels and such. So I try to put some interesting stuff in my water areas too - basically fluff that is not authentic cartography, and not too interesting either, but just something that breaks up the monotony of waves or blank water color etc. Personally, I think the compass lines work reasonably well in this map, although, as said, I can see how you might find it a bit much. Anyway, thanks for the nice words.

Quote Originally Posted by Teferi View Post
    I almost agree with this... Imho, a compromise between the two would be best ...

Text is a _little_ bit hard to read. Just a little... Making the map slightly larger, and having the text contrast stronger to the rest of the map (just a little) would be an improvement
    Yeah, a compromise might be to remove every other circular compass line; that might help alleviate the busy look. I think I'll keep it as is, though.
    As to the text readability, well, I can't really upscale the map without also making it look blurry. That's the downside with raster graphics, unfortunately. Making the text a slightly brighter red could work, but again, I think I like it like this.
    Thanks for the lovely compliments!

Excellent work. Please look forward to a private message from myself once I've cleared the minimum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12