Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First map, be gentle.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapadvice4.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	79279

I think I broke my brain... I'm getting non-stop worse at these damn mountains...

You can literally see me digress in skill from left to right... so discouraging. lol

Practicing too much at a new skill can often make you get worse. Taking a break and (if possible) sleeping on it can make a huge difference in competence at a task.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Practicing too much at a new skill can often make you get worse. Taking a break and (if possible) sleeping on it can make a huge difference in competence at a task.
    lol I took your advice before reading it.

Got the day off so time for some mountains.

Something tells me my canvas is not big enough. I'm using 3-1 pixel width for my pen and It seems like the pro's go 5-1. But when I do the 5, it's way to large and thick. Advice? My canvis size is like 6500x5400 (Around that) I think I should be 8100x7200? Then I can use the 5 point without it being too large and won't have to shrink my castles down to much.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boucher View Post

I think I broke my brain... I'm getting non-stop worse at these damn mountains...

You can literally see me digress in skill from left to right... so discouraging. lol
    No no ! You are totally there. Look at what you did :

Name:	Range0001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	711.2 KB 
ID:	79296

If that is not a reasonable mountain range then I am the pope.
    (I just took one of your pictures on the right and took the liberty to merely enhance some lines and suppress others. Used mouse and 3B pencil. You just need to look at what you did with your "inner eye" and help those features to come out.)

For what it's worth, I think the newer mountains you've drawn look great. Keep at it!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post

(I just took one of your pictures on the right and took the liberty to merely enhance some lines and suppress others. Used mouse and 3B pencil. You just need to look at what you did with your "inner eye" and help those features to come out.)
    Mine keep coming out like landscape and from one mountain to the next I am wracking my brain on how to get a more top down view like http://i1.wp.com/www.fantasticmaps.c...Steel-Road.png

But instead I end up with...

Name:	mapadvice5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	79297

It always ends up like we are looking 'to the mountains' rather then down at them and even with drawing further pulled out lines, I seem to lose 'height of view' if that makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post

I hope mine look as good as yours once I add coloring for the shading. Thanks again for the outline you did on my work, I've been switching back and forth for a while seeing the little tricks you did.

Ground lines... the little ones that lay perfectly horizontal. Keep those always thin and faint, or ad a darkness when trying to add a rock? I've noticed it seems to work some times. lol And other times... I go WAY over board with how many ground lines I add, it seems to be my issue.

Last question to anyone... How much detail is too much detail in the mountains? I have a few in the example picture above. Some have less, some have more. Any preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    For what it's worth, I think the newer mountains you've drawn look great. Keep at it!
    Thanks! I do think they are an improvement, but I feel they lack the 'impassible mountain range' look. The old one didn't have that much either, so its not like it got better. lol

Like Deadshade said, your linework is already good. The example you provided is of a colored image and the colors/shades make up for a big part of the final perspective. I would suggest you do some of the colorting tutorials on a few of your mountain ranges too see what comes out from that.

And the amount of details varies, you can have just inverted V's or a lot of lines like Deadshadesd example, it depends on where you want to go with it, how you want to color it and finally mostly on your own preference. Check out some regional maps from Max in the finished maps section to see how he makes both mountains with a lot of lines and ones with very little lines but a lot of shading. In the end the more art you see, and more you try out yourself you will start to define your style. Just color your mountains for a test now since I noticed when I started drawing that I couldnt 'see' how they would look after adding color. It will change your perspective on linework a bit.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Like Deadshade said, your linework is already good. The example you provided is of a colored image and the colors/shades make up for a big part of the final perspective. I would suggest you do some of the colorting tutorials on a few of your mountain ranges too see what comes out from that.

And the amount of details varies, you can have just inverted V's or a lot of lines like Deadshadesd example, it depends on where you want to go with it, how you want to color it and finally mostly on your own preference. Check out some regional maps from Max in the finished maps section to see how he makes both mountains with a lot of lines and ones with very little lines but a lot of shading. In the end the more art you see, and more you try out yourself you will start to define your style. Just color your mountains for a test now since I noticed when I started drawing that I couldnt 'see' how they would look after adding color. It will change your perspective on linework a bit.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I have been toying with this very idea, however I have seen many places say 'finish your mountains and everything first' and such, but here goes...

What do you think? This is also my fourth of fifth time coloring anything so... it sucks. lol But I will be adding tree lines at the bottom and much more detail in the grasslands bellow.

Are the peaks too low looking to have snow cover?

Name:	mapadvice6.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	79300

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast