Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vehldwyn and The Well of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    No grid required, just find yourself a nice picture of a curlywurly bar Attachment 95589
    Someone's gonna get extra points ...

Wow, please see this through, that border alone will be worth the prize O.O And like Daniel said, thanks for this and your explanation, will come in handy, there are too many people with BDIS(Border Drawing Impotence Syndrome) around, and not enough tutorials on the matter
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

This gonna be FINE LOOKIN' border kacey. Great start.

Thanks for the laugh! That deserves indeed extra points! This Curly Wurly is both looking like a DNA strand and a celtic pattern? It has to be incredible !
    When will we see some gummy bears in maps, I wonder...

Apart from that, it's a splendid start, Kacey! The frame is gorgeous and the trees are full of promises.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Thanks guy's I really appreciate the nice comments!
    No grid required, just find yourself a nice picture of a curlywurly bar

I used this one it even has a few cracks for inspiration...

Attachment 95589
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Fine lookin' and tasty, Voolf!

What a great way to start a border off, thanks fos for sharing your technique too.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question

Thanks guy's I really appreciate the nice comments! ....

..... After I got everything "looking right" with vector lines I turned down the opacity and traced it out by hand, after that I started adding the detail which still isn't done and is taking forever, there is no easy way to do this part, just clear you're schedule and start drawing, I've put almost 10 hours into this already.

No grid required, just find yourself a nice picture of a curlywurly bar

I used this one it even has a few cracks for inspiration...

Attachment 95589

That is legit buddy. Thanks a bunch for answering that first question.
    Just off-handedly, did you create a brush for the drawn section you used to copy and paste? That stuff comes in handy later on.

Hmmm, I was still wondering. As you said, there is no easy way to do the details part, but what is your line of thought in going to work on that part? (even if it takes a long time)
    Maybe elaborate what kind of brushes you use for them and how you approach those shadows in a consistent way? Hehehe, I know I ask a lot of questions. But borders is a lesser spoken about art.

Again, great job!
    Last edited by XCali; 05-11-2017 at 06:17 AM.

This looks amazing, kacey! Love the border. (I'm sorta thinking about joining the challenge and was hoping to work a curly wurly into my border too, but I'm going to use the holes... cos I ate all the chocolate!)

Are you going for full colour, then? The little tree looks good.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's outstanding, Kacey

And impressive - since we Brits have something of an unfair advantage by being able to observe the real thing in its wild state... until ChickPea comes along and eats the thing, that is!

Yes. Yes yes yes yes! This is excellent.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Wow, please see this through, that border alone will be worth the prize O.O And like Daniel said, thanks for this and your explanation, will come in handy, there are too many people with BDIS(Border Drawing Impotence Syndrome) around, and not enough tutorials on the matter
    Thanks Berek, I'll do my best to see it through. All the nice comments really do help with motivation, but if I spend much more time on this border there won't be a map to go in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Thanks Voolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks for the laugh! That deserves indeed extra points! This Curly Wurly is both looking like a DNA strand and a celtic pattern? It has to be incredible !
    When will we see some gummy bears in maps, I wonder...

Apart from that, it's a splendid start, Kacey! The frame is gorgeous and the trees are full of promises.
    Thanks Ilanthar, I definitely saw Celtic patterns as soon as I layed my eyes on a curly wurly, it's why I joined the challenge though I still haven't figured out how I'm going to make it dastardly. Gummy bears hmmm...Might be interesting to try and make that work, maybe a challenge where you have to in some way incorporate a randomly chosen treat into you're map, I think that would be fun, I may have to make a gummy bear inspired border next...

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Fine lookin' and tasty, Voolf!

What a great way to start a border off, thanks fos for sharing your technique too.
    Thanks GLS

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    That is legit buddy. Thanks a bunch for answering that first question.
    Just off-handedly, did you create a brush for the drawn section you used to copy and paste? That stuff comes in handy later on.

Hmmm, I was still wondering. As you said, there is no easy way to do the details part, but what is your line of thought in going to work on that part? (even if it takes a long time)
    Maybe elaborate what kind of brushes you use for them and how you approach those shadows in a consistent way? Hehehe, I know I ask a lot of questions. But borders is a lesser spoken about art.

Again, great job!
    My line of thought when approaching the details is just to get it done as fast as possible, I'm really unsure as to weather I'll have enough time this month to complete it.

There's no fancy brushes here, I just used a 4px hard round brush pressure set to size. I never changed the brush or the size for the shadows or highlights either.

I approached the shadows the same way I do as when I'm drawing mountains... I use the colour picker to grab a light colour from the parchment background, set a new layer to multiply and start painting, the same goes for highlights, I use the exact same colour as the shadows only I set the layer mode to screen, I drew them as fast as I could there's no need for perfection, those details are so small it really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This looks amazing, kacey! Love the border. (I'm sorta thinking about joining the challenge and was hoping to work a curly wurly into my border too, but I'm going to use the holes... cos I ate all the chocolate!)

Are you going for full colour, then? The little tree looks good.
    Oh please do join, I feel all alone here right now, no point joining a challenge if no one else is in it.

I'm not sure on colour, there will be some for sure, trees, rooftops, and water, but I don't think I'll get time to do all the ground and everything, we'll see how much time I can manage to spare for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's outstanding, Kacey

And impressive - since we Brits have something of an unfair advantage by being able to observe the real thing in its wild state... until ChickPea comes along and eats the thing, that is!
    Not if I eat it first

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Yes. Yes yes yes yes! This is excellent.
    Thanks Chashio!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast