Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrgie

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelmccoy View Post
    The way you incorporated the cities is awesome. Estour in particular is really cool - I love the way it wraps into the mountains.
    Thank you very much! I know it can feel weird, because it's a change of scale, but I'm glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great job, Joël! I agree with others, those cities are so detailed and awesome!
    I think it has an "old historic flair", since in the past, the main things where represented bigger and more detailed (like the islands on an old naval chart).
    Indeed... I rely a little bit on that to justify this deviation from the scale. But perhaps I should have, for example, surrounded the cities in a kind of framework, to better highlight this "magnifying glass" effect? At the same time, it would have made the whole thing considerably heavier... I don't know about that.... What I do know is that my cousin is happy, and after all, that's the most important

Guild Apprentice

I like it, the waterfalls/springs in Estour are an extra treat!

What a cool Christmas gift! Lots of wonderful detail in this piece. The swamp looks great, and those cities are really cool. Beautiful work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I rely a little bit on that to justify this deviation from the scale. But perhaps I should have, for example, surrounded the cities in a kind of framework, to better highlight this "magnifying glass" effect? At the same time, it would have made the whole thing considerably heavier.
    I think it's great the way it is. As Ilanthar points out, the scale distortion gives it a historical, even whimsical feel. I think the lack of any frames makes it more immersive, without making it seem odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    I like it, the waterfalls/springs in Estour are an extra treat!
    Thansk Deeds ! I'm glad you like this part, I think it's my favourite too !

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    What a cool Christmas gift! Lots of wonderful detail in this piece. The swamp looks great, and those cities are really cool. Beautiful work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thansk Arsheesh ! I was glad to bring this present my cousin ! I'm glad you liked this map, I had to work fast...

Quote Originally Posted by steelmccoy View Post
    I think it's great the way it is. As Ilanthar points out, the scale distortion gives it a historical, even whimsical feel. I think the lack of any frames makes it more immersive, without making it seem odd.
    Thanks a lot for your comment ! I'm glad it doesn't look odd to you !

That's a great map Joël ! I love how you mixed the cities with the landscape. There's a scale clash and you own it like a pro ! The mountains are epic and the luminous elements are perfect for the balance of the map. Awesome job through and through !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    That's a great map Joël ! I love how you mixed the cities with the landscape. There's a scale clash and you own it like a pro ! The mountains are epic and the luminous elements are perfect for the balance of the map. Awesome job through and through !
    Thanks a lot for your comment, Thomas !
    I hope to see some map of yours around here soon !!! (I understand you are under a lot of stress these weeks... I hope it gets better !)

Nice work, JO! It has a great deal of cool details and nice colors to it. I'm not completely sold on the runes in the border though - don't get me wrong, I love a good runic decoration (as some may have noticed in the past ) but I think the black letters are a bit too strong as they are. I'd maybe try to get them to look a bit more in line with those wonderful corner elements the border has? It's not super bad, by any means, but I just find that right now my eye catches the border first and keeps wondering back there.

Minor nitpicks aside, it's a great piece. I hope your cousin appreciates it!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Nice work, JO! It has a great deal of cool details and nice colors to it. I'm not completely sold on the runes in the border though - don't get me wrong, I love a good runic decoration (as some may have noticed in the past ) but I think the black letters are a bit too strong as they are. I'd maybe try to get them to look a bit more in line with those wonderful corner elements the border has? It's not super bad, by any means, but I just find that right now my eye catches the border first and keeps wondering back there.

Minor nitpicks aside, it's a great piece. I hope your cousin appreciates it!
    Thanks for your comment and nice words !
    I know what you mean and I agree with you. Especially from a distance. I'll have to make the change to see how it goes. Maybe stay in the yellow color, but darker could do the trick ?

I just love looking at the mountains on this one.

Beautifully drawn, Joel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast