View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    From my experience with the Community Worldbuilding Project, the Activity Stream will explode, once everyone is starting their WIP threads But for sure it'll be more about actual maps
    @Kacey: I like to use the activity stream too, but when ~30-50 cartographers are starting to map this city like crazy it might be a good advice to search for new posts beside this event in the respective subforums directly ;D

Btw: I NEED DISTRICT #27!!!! XD

Edit: A huge thanks already to everyone on and behind the scenes for making a thrilling new community project possible!
    Thanks for the tip Abu Lafia, I've actually found some interesting threads that I may have missed had I only looked at the activity stream like I normally do.

And I too want to thank the people behind the scenes for getting this together so quickly, especially Mouse, and J.Edward for keeping us all informed, I can't for the life of me figure out how you've managed to comb through every word in this thread, and still get everything done.

The base map is looking great, I just hope I can do it justice in my section.

And BTW I think Mouse would make an excellent community leader, she put's so much time, and compassion into this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    And BTW I think Mouse would make an excellent community leader, she put's so much time, and compassion into this forum.
    Approve, put her on the Leader Throne!

About the map, one concern. I dont know if dividing area in the middle of river/lake is a good idea. when we mach all the maps the discrepency in technique is obvious, but having river divided into two, left and right side different, may look strange. Just a thought.

It's easier to divide over the water bodies than over the land because of the buildings and other stuff.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-08-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Someone can probably layer in a uniform water layer when everything's done.

Easier doesn't always mean better. I dont see problem gabbing one area with full river (to the next shore). Then the opposite area will end before shore. Shores are usually not so crouded and have less buildings (at least suburbs). But if there has to be some fishing huts, or pier in those two adjacent areas then cartographers can come to agreement who will depict them.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

So what about the discrepancies where a river meets a lake then?

I am well aware of the fact that we won't avoid discrepancies. What i ment is to avoid #1, because it will look worse then #2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river discrepency.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	90896

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    ...And BTW I think Mouse would make an excellent community leader, she put's so much time, and compassion into this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Approve, put her on the Leader Throne!
    Thanks! That's incredibly sweet of you both, and I really appreciate it, but... no thanks

I love our CLs, and I really enjoy supporting them when I have the time, but I don't ever want to be one! LOL!

Because this map has a lot of height variation it might be a good idea to have more height information. For instance the height of the flat ground and the height of the various water surfaces and the ultimate hight of those hills. To me it looks like the central lake is fairly far down in that basin surrounded by cliffs. It could mean people mismatch the cliff heights.

There is a place in the real world where a limestone karst has been eroded in such a way that vertical holes down to the sea exist, where the light reflected from the white stone of the sea bed is so very intense that a boat sat in the middle of the pool of light appears to be floating in mid-air when viewed from the side. I can't for the life of me remember where it is, since it was one of those holiday snaps a friend showed me - among hundreds. Iif I could only find it on Google I would show it you - inspiration for ISO illustrations later

EDIT: Found something similar, but fresh water instead of ocean...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melissani lake - Greece.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	90901

Melissani Lake, Greece

Falconius - you're right about the possible mismatch, but if there is a set width to the actual cliff (a top edge and a bottom edge) it shouldn't look too bad because the view is top down (unless I've got the wrong end of the stick again)
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-08-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast