Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2017 Challenge: The Hanging Gardens of Magrael

Just a little thing about merging layers in Gimp...

I often use the 'New from Visible' option on the layers menu. It creates a single layer of everything that's currently showing. Save your exiting file with all its layers intact, then copy the 'Visible' layer into a new file and work on from there. I pretty much never merge layers if I think there's even the remotest possibility I might want to change things. I've learned from sad experience...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea

I have used that facility before now when merging things down didn't turn out as expected (merging doesn't always take account of transparency and blend modes!) I will remember it this time. I know I will.

Things are a bit slow for me at the moment. I have two versions open at the same time, which is using 98% of my processor power and all the RAM, and I'm doing a sort of pick and mix with the layers of both. I'm hoping it won't look too bad

Hope you can manage to piece something together. It's frustrating when your computer's running slowly...
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm still enjoying it. I like a challenge, and it isn't entirely all lost

The original is smaller now, and I've done a lot of redrawing. The rocks and their shadows, along with the grass on top of them are the only bits that are sort of original. The rest is new.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magrael 10.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	7.02 MB 
ID:	96917

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking great - again ... I like the small detail of the border being broken at the edge - perhaps go a little closer to the rock, or keep the border unbroken but let the rock hang over it?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks Tilt

I'll have a look at the border again a bit later.

For now I'm just trying to get somewhere close to at least half way done with the rest of the map

For anyone thinking of trying to do a similar kind of map that is almost entirely a 'painting in textures' - its great until you get down to the nitty-gritty of doing the buildings and the bridges, and so on! LOL!

I am almost certainly going to run out of time, but I'll just keep chugging along till the thread gets locked

Love the shading and perspective, can't wait to see more of it.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks Josiah

Ummm... I'm working on it.... LOL!

Ok, this is the next plodding step - the history is written anew on the map. I just want to know if you can read it, and if you are annoyed by the dots in the 'o's. I can't make my mind up about them. Its the only thing I'm not entirely keen on with this font, but I haven't got time to spend a day looking for another one. I wish there was a version of this font without the dots!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magrael with insets 01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	8.12 MB 
ID:	96928

EDIT: Oh and Tilt - I did that thing with the rock you were talking about. I hope you like it
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast