Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Igneous Isles

Interesting map and good job so far. Will you add a textured background?

Yeah, I'd love to. I'm probably going to have to go looking for some tutorials or resources!

Okay, I added mangroves along the shore in places. I think I might be done with the forests at this point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igneousIsle_progress10.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	92277

Next I will probably start on some other textures for vegetation and rocky terrain. It's slow going, but I'm trying to keep posting frequently.

It's looking great!

The southern shore needed some a'a.

Name:	igneousIsle_progress11.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	92363

I've added grassland on part of the interior. I think I'll figure out some other vegetation symbol to break it up a little after I finish.

Name:	igneousIsle_progress12.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	92395

The grassland is excellent, imho. Btw, why did you choose a dark line for elements/coast and a grey line for the rest?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

I guess there wasn't a conscious reason for choosing the tone of the trees and grasses - and actually, I don't think I did anything but apply a little less pressure. Now that I'm thinking about it, I like having a softer look for plants and a harder look for rocks, mountains, etc.

I do plan to color in the island, and I'm sure it will look different after I do!

Fortunately, to try out this newfangled Photo Shop thing, I put all the different elements on different layers, so I can do some tweaking. What do you think?

Honestly, it entirely depends of how you do the texturing/coloring... I tend to use the same "black" (usually 32/32/32 and not 0/0/0) because I generally use a multiply or a luminance effect to blend the lines layers on the parchment background.

Time for a small update. I realized that I needed a way to indicate low growth vegetation, so I drew some little shadowed humps. I'm thinking of coloring the forests, grassland, and vegetation different colors of green. What do you think?

Name:	igneousIsle_progress13.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	92744

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast