Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tesset Gallí

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I must say, Caenwyr, your posts are always a great read I think this: "It's like a game of connect-the-dots, without actually seeing the connecting lines" was a fantastic description. Interesting technique for the rivers too, I'm thinking that would in fact be used for the entire landmass, hmm… might try experimenting with that in ink. Your new mountains are a big improvement, very very nice. Still looks a little too interrupted though, in places, I think; I'm seeing clusters where you have mountains getting progressively bigger, then a break, then it picks up and again gets bigger and bigger. A small peak between the clusters should solve that, if I'm not just seeing things…

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I think Lingon`s suggestion is on point here.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Your new mountains are a big improvement, very very nice. Still looks a little too interrupted though, in places, I think; I'm seeing clusters where you have mountains getting progressively bigger, then a break, then it picks up and again gets bigger and bigger. A small peak between the clusters should solve that, if I'm not just seeing things…

Thanks Lingon, I think I get what you mean. You're referring to the spots indicated in red below, right? If that's correct, then I think I should be able to squeeze a mountain or two in there to tie them all together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teset Gari 12-gaps.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	594.1 KB 
ID:	80723 --> the gappy version

Name:	Teset Gari 12-gapfill.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	631.5 KB 
ID:	80724 --> the non-gappy version

Actually, I'm starting to see some logic here! I believe I can improve the connectivity within the mountain range by (1) preventing those weird gaps from happening, and (2) by tying the mountains together size-wise. This allows me to keep putting them in pseudo-random spots while still leading the eye upward and inward in the direction of the largest peaks.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Good work and a very interesting post on your drawing progression. Waiting for your next update.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thats very much better. The flow started to work.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Alright, newest update. Finished the mountains 2.0, and added some squigglies to the rivers to give them more depth.

Name:	Teset Gari 15.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	724.4 KB 
ID:	80764

I also started working on a coloured version again (now without the magical water ), but while the shading of the mountains does indeed lend a lot of depth to the map, I also feel it makes the mountains seem to float a bit. Is that just me, or do you guys feel the same way?

Name:	Teset Gari 15-coloured.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	994.4 KB 
ID:	80765

Thanks for all the help you've already given me guys. I've learned a LOT already in this thread!!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

This looks beautiful! I'd recommend turning down the texture a notch though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

This is awesome, i like your color !! It looks great !

Looks very nice and I like the colours. The water is a bit too dark in my opinion though. Maybe you can extend the blue area a bit.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Nailed it, Caenwyr! Looks fantastic. I'm not seeing the floating mountains actually. Really like the water, dark and deep and menacing without magic. This is going to be a masterpiece!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast