Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Guilded Lands

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Ooh look, I'm near the Disputed Territories! That probably makes life pretty exciting.

I really like the texture you've used for your mountains. One question: is the political border between Cote de Diamant and Djedwardia supposed to be a solid line, when the other political borders are dashed lines? (It may also be that I can't properly see the dashes at the moment, due to a combo of not-great monitor and sunlight.)

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    Really nice progress, Straf! I must confess that I very much prefer this cartouche to the gold one. It fits a lot better with the overall look of the map.

I agree with Mouse on the labels. Especially the smaller labels on the mountains are hard to read.

Great idea for Greason and Wolfe. And for MMM too, very elegant.

Thanks for putting me in the corner! It’s the most comfortable place for me, so you got that perfectly right. Although an island just for myself might have worked even better... But it’s ok, the corner will do.
    Thanks nopkin. I placed you there because I thought you might enjoy being in charge of the large gun placements there designed to discourage pirates and smugglers from lingering in the area

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice!
    If I may, it should be "Les Îles d'Anthar" in proper french... but maybe they're under the booze effect ?
    And, maybe more "Thommarey-sur-mer".

I love what you did with the names, very cool !
    Of course, a schoolboy error! I shall write it out 100 times teach I need to adjust the way they're displayed anyway so I can make whatever corrections I need to. Are the mountains in that area OK? They are supposed to refer to a specific username on the forum. Also is peignoir rouge correctly referencing a name on the forum?

I keep forgetting all of these little definite article bits and pieces in French (and other) languages. In Romanian the definite article is usually given at the end of a word using -ul and -ele, and I never get those correct either. I tried to say "the laptop" in Romanian once and it resulted in minor hilarity because I inadvertently said a rude word. Some languages - I can't remember - don't have a distinction between definite or indefinite, but then we don't have it for proper nouns. We say "Get John on the telephone for me" but we don't say "Get the John on the telephone" presumably because "get a John on the telephone" wouldn't really be said, unless the speaker just wanted to speak to anyone called John. Language is a funny old thing

And thanks, I had a lot of fun working with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Haha, this is looking great Straf. I don't know why but the sheer simplicity of "El Bow" just had me in stitches...
    Cheers Greg. Well I saw a bow in the river and saw Elboe on the list so it just had to be done. Being the paranoid anxiety bag that I am, though, I've been worried that I may have done something offensive to someone.

Wait! I'm on there? This is what I get for being old and coming from a school that didn't offer any foreign languages.

(Starts romping around after tail in effort to find self)
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Ooh look, I'm near the Disputed Territories! That probably makes life pretty exciting.

I really like the texture you've used for your mountains. One question: is the political border between Cote de Diamant and Djedwardia supposed to be a solid line, when the other political borders are dashed lines? (It may also be that I can't properly see the dashes at the moment, due to a combo of not-great monitor and sunlight.)
    You get to collect the taxes from the goods being traded via that route as the boats bringing stuff from the Disputed Territories and the unsettled lands further south have to pass right by you to get onto the main distribution network. You look trustworthy enough not to take any bribes or anything of the sort and you certainly wouldn't even consider any illegal narcotics activity would you?

Well spotted on that border - I hadn't noticed that at all. I need to see what's happened there because it shouldn't have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Wait! I'm on there? This is what I get for being old and coming from a school that didn't offer any foreign languages.

(Starts romping around after tail in effort to find self)
    Heheh, you're not in a foreign language, although you may be schizophrenic for a while but then you get yourself together very nicely and go with the flow to meet up with some good friends

Ahh! Difficult to see on phone. Or maybe its just my eyes. But good to know I won't go thirsty.

Oh and just in case I didn't mention it earlier, this is looking good, something I've come to expect from your work.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-05-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Interesting progress! I like how you tweak some of the names to fit right in
    And I give up on finding my name...
    EDIT: Found!
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 04-05-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Ah Straf! You are one clever bugger, then again, you usually are!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    You get to collect the taxes from the goods being traded via that route as the boats bringing stuff from the Disputed Territories and the unsettled lands further south have to pass right by you to get onto the main distribution network. You look trustworthy enough not to take any bribes or anything of the sort and you certainly wouldn't even consider any illegal narcotics activity would you?
    I am an upstanding citizen and your taxes and goods are completely safe in my hands. You can trust me; I'm a lawyer. ;-)

Guild Expert

The mountain repeats are a little less noticeable with all the new labeling and giving me a whole sea doesn't hurt either. The map is looking really good so far I love the colors you've chosen for this one.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast