Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Diamond Trade Route

I decided not to redoo the map and just finish the one i started Diamond. Lots of new ways i tried here, but overall i failed in almost evertything i wanted to make. In the end, instead of starting over I attempt to save this using my usual style.

Everything besides the actual map is still WIP and will change. I am trying to find good layout for everything, but i am so bad in this, it can actually take more time than the map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trade route_005.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	113640
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I decided not to redoo the map and just finish the one i started Diamond. Lots of new ways i tried here, but overall i failed in almost evertything i wanted to make. In the end, instead of starting over I attempt to save this using my usual style.

Everything besides the actual map is still WIP and will change. I am trying to find good layout for everything, but i am so bad in this, it can actually take more time than the map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trade route_005.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	113640
    What did you fail ? To me looks very nice and pleasant to look at ... I also like the city icons, eventually I might increase a little the contrast or make the woodland more evident , adding the cities on the map too ... else?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    What did you fail ? To me looks very nice and pleasant to look at ... I also like the city icons, eventually I might increase a little the contrast or make the woodland more evident , adding the cities on the map too ... else?
    Well, i did not show what i failed . I was going for quite different style here. Something i am not familiar with. After long days experimenting i gave up and decided to make map from scratch..... but... i change my mind again and just finished this one using the style i am familiar with. I am soso pleased with the map. I am disappointed i could not do what i had in mind though.

I am planning to place cities on the map. Forests on this map is something new to me and hard to nailed it down :/ Thanks for advices !
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

I know this struggle all too well... But sometimes it is just better to stick with what you know best. Even if it feels bad giving up on those new ideas you had. But you can always try them again later!

The map does look good, though! I like the little city icons too.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is looking good. I know what you mean about "that scare me", i feel like I'm always reinventing the wheel when it comes to certain things. Other items, I've got a way to do but when I'm not sure it's like, "Oh no..what am I going to do". Just remember, you haven't failed yet and most likely never do, you just have to keep at it.

edit: I know realized I was behind on your thread so this was before you did it....it looks great!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well, I can't comment on what you had in mind since you didn't show it but I love what you've done! Looks pretty damn awesome to me...

I reckon that this looks great, Voolf. You've got a great talent with colour, I think.

There's one thing that bothers me a tiny bit about this map, though, and it's a world-building thing rather than a map/art thing: I keep wondering why people don't take shorter routes from points A to B (eg. going by sea from Guver to Estabond). You mentioned in the beginning that some of the routes are dangerous, but are you going to show that/how they're dangerous?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I know this struggle all too well... But sometimes it is just better to stick with what you know best. Even if it feels bad giving up on those new ideas you had. But you can always try them again later!

The map does look good, though! I like the little city icons too.
    Thanks Kell.
    I do not take part in many challanges here. But everytime i do i try something new, hence i felt a bit down, but i am past this now. We all move forward in our skills with every map don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    This is looking good. I know what you mean about "that scare me", i feel like I'm always reinventing the wheel when it comes to certain things. Other items, I've got a way to do but when I'm not sure it's like, "Oh no..what am I going to do". Just remember, you haven't failed yet and most likely never do, you just have to keep at it.

edit: I know realized I was behind on your thread so this was before you did it....it looks great!
    Spot on with that reinventing the wheel. Have same feeling sometimes.
    Thanks Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Well, I can't comment on what you had in mind since you didn't show it but I love what you've done! Looks pretty damn awesome to me...
    I am glad to hear it D!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I reckon that this looks great, Voolf. You've got a great talent with colour, I think.

There's one thing that bothers me a tiny bit about this map, though, and it's a world-building thing rather than a map/art thing: I keep wondering why people don't take shorter routes from points A to B (eg. going by sea from Guver to Estabond). You mentioned in the beginning that some of the routes are dangerous, but are you going to show that/how they're dangerous?

Wingshaw
    I may be wrong, since i have very little knowledge about it, but there are couple of factors that for me seem plausable.

First and foremost people don't want to skip certain cities/towns where they can sell/buy things. I haven't marked it on the map yet, but there will be more towns on the way. The five i marked are the major ones. So of course going from Guver to Estabond by sea is viable, but the people who trade would skip many towns where they actually want to sell goods and i think the trade route is all about, well... trade , so you want to visit as many places on the relatively shortest way.

Second, as you said there will be some dangers on the way. Either difficult terrain (mountains, weather etc.) or bandits, pirates. People can take those shortcuts saving time and money, but they are risking loosing they cargo, or even life.

So the reason behind the long trade route is that it is relatively safe, well-known track, without any surprises waiting for you. It's connected to many smaller towns between main cities so merchants can squeeze as many coins as they can from people along the road as well as restock necessary supplies to continue the travel.
    Last edited by Voolf; 02-20-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    New Horizons

Support:

Guild Expert

It looks great Voolf, there are a few maps that are obviously going to be on top in the end, and this I'm sure will be one of them.

I know it's pretty easy to be judgmental about your own work especially when things don't turn out the way you had them in your head but the result of your map is still outstanding work! Even if it's not exactly what you wanted it's an extremely professional looking map, with clean lines, and very inviting colors.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast