Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: The Diamond Trade Route

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh wow.

WOW.

Voolf, this is surpassing my wildest expectations. Bravo sir!

Thank you everyone.

I think i took it to finish line. If there are no errors in spelling etc. your keen eye may catch, i will call it done.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frey_skad_trade_route_CG.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	113819
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Looks great, Voolf. No spelling errors that I can see.

If I can make one little suggestion: perhaps drop the opacity on the black? Or blur the edges of the black a little bit? It may be the look you're going for, but in my opinion the map looks a bit too 'clean' and crisp at the moment.

Oh, and I really like the layout, by the way.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Excellent work! I really like how this came out. Congrats on finishing!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Love the little icons and the trade images !
    How you calculated the time of movement between cities?
    They seem to me a bit odd... for example considering that a Roman Legionary could walk for 40 kms a day , to make 543 miles , which are about 870 km it would take about 3 weeks .
    And a Roman Legionary was a trained soldier that used to walk for months and with a military conditioning, a normal traveler I suppose would take double this time .
    For Horse I 20-30 miles (30-50 km) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_the_Middle_Ages So I guess it would take like 18 days or double if not a traveling horse...
    Also to be taken in consideration is the kind of roads at disposal if simple trails or Large paved roads like the Roman ones , those could speed up the travel and bring it to the maximum while lesser good roads could even halve it ... Not talking of the wilderness and no roads at all .
    Last edited by Naima; 02-28-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Love the little icons and the trade images !
    How you calculated the time of movement between cities?
    They seem to me a bit odd... for example considering that a Roman Legionary could walk for 40 kms a day , to make 543 miles , which are about 870 km it would take about 3 weeks .
    And a Roman Legionary was a trained soldier that used to walk for months and with a military conditioning, a normal traveler I suppose would take double this time .
    For Horse I 20-30 miles (30-50 km) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_the_Middle_Ages So I guess it would take like 18 days or double if not a traveling horse...
    Also to be taken in consideration is the kind of roads at disposal if simple trails or Large paved roads like the Roman ones , those could speed up the travel and bring it to the maximum while lesser good roads could even halve it ... Not talking of the wilderness and no roads at all .
    Thanks for your imput Naima.
    I calculated it quite simple. 1 mile (1,6 km) takes about 20 minutes, i considered that they will travel from morning till late evening with breaks. Those numbers are avarage, I did some reaserch, but not much. That is why i asked in previous post if anyone with good knowledge can help me here

As for the horse, it dosen't say, but i imagined to be a carrier that delivers important messages. He is running fast and changes horses on the way in cities and between them. (of course i haven't marked all smaller points on the map he would stop).

What numbers would you suggest for those lenghts considering what i have said?
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Thanks for your imput Naima.
    I calculated it quite simple. 1 mile (1,6 km) takes about 20 minutes, i considered that they will travel from morning till late evening with breaks. Those numbers are avarage, I did some reaserch, but not much. That is why i asked in previous post if anyone with good knowledge can help me here

As for the horse, it dosen't say, but i imagined to be a carrier that delivers important messages. He is running fast and changes horses on the way in cities and between them. (of course i haven't marked all smaller points on the map he would stop).

What numbers would you suggest for those lenghts considering what i have said?
    As Said I based my counts on the Roman soldier on march , and the medieval horse travel , but of course if you use a post system with changes of horses, in Roman age with perfect roads you could send a message from Rome to Scotland in less than a week , but average traveller could take a month...

A very usefull site is this one Orbis
    that could give an idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    As Said I based my counts on the Roman soldier on march , and the medieval horse travel , but of course if you use a post system with changes of horses, in Roman age with perfect roads you could send a message from Rome to Scotland in less than a week , but average traveller could take a month...

A very usefull site is this one Orbis
    that could give an idea .
    Much appreciated. I will make calculations and change the numbers
    New Horizons

Support:

Ok, I have set the pace to 35KM per day on foot and 60KM per day with horse. I know there are a lot of factors that determine the speed on the way, but since it's just a casual map i won't get into it too much.

Anyway those numbers really looks better than before, so thank you very much Naima!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw
    Looks great, Voolf. No spelling errors that I can see.

If I can make one little suggestion: perhaps drop the opacity on the black? Or blur the edges of the black a little bit? It may be the look you're going for, but in my opinion the map looks a bit too 'clean' and crisp at the moment.

Oh, and I really like the layout, by the way.

Wingshaw
    I like clean and crisp , so i will not change that for the lower informative part, but i did lover the opacity of the icons on the map. I think it looks a bit better ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica
    Excellent work! I really like how this came out. Congrats on finishing!
    Thank you

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frey_skad_trade_route_CG.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	113821
    New Horizons

Support:

Blog Entries

It's beautiful. When can we see the rest of the map?

And I'm glad you changed those distances. I looked at it earlier but didn't have time to comment and they immediately jumped out at me as being... enthusiastic.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast