Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Atlas Awards: Rules and Discussion

Well... I'm still only on page 3, and I can see that others have already nominated those I picked out, but I'll keep going

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Thanks ChickPea, What a great resource!

Thanks very much everyone. It was worth the effort when I know it's been helpful.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wow, great, great idea, ChickPea! I second Diamond : you are awesome, indeed .

PS ; I hope that my kneecaps are also safe...

Haha, thanks Ilanthar.

I suspect no-one's kneecaps are truly safe from Diamond...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Kneecaps... my precious...

I have been browsing through Chickpea's list (thanks for that), that is a large number of maps that were produced in 2016 (and that's not even counting the maps in the wip threads and challenges).

At the same time I am trying out a package for webscraping (work related). So I thought it might be a nice exercise to try to scrape the threads in Chickpea's list. That worked well, so now I have a list with userids, titles and I stored the links to all attachments in the first post of the OP. This will not give the correct images for all threads, but for most it will. This resulted in 689 threads with 1031 (urls of) images. I could share this list, if there is interest, but I am not sure in what form.

djan, this may be a question for an admin. Regular users are limited in the type of files they can upload, though certainly a PDF or doc file is acceptable. Just to clarify, when you say you scraped the threads, did you grab the thumbnail images, or is it just URLs to the bigger attachments that you have?

I just scraped the URLs to the larger images and thumbnails (is the same link except for a small parameter). It currently is a CSV file, but that is probably of little use to most users. I could put a HTML page up somewhere that displays all thumbnails with links to the posts, but this would likely violate some copyright stuff (and put a load on the guild server). This is what I now have locally.

But yes this is probably something for one of the admins.

Yeah, I hope Redrobes or Robbie can chime in with their thoughts. I was kinda hoping that you'd be able to generate a nicely formatted PDF with thumbnails on one side and URLs on the other. That would probably work reasonably well in place of a thumbnail gallery. I don't think anyone would worry too much about copyright if it were only the thumbnail you used. However, this is above my pay grade so I'll leave it to the admins.

Never even considered scraping the threads....!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast