Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Kanoba

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    ::drools::

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    This is gorgeous! Did Thomas give you the labels ?
    Thanks Tenia That he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Splendid work ! But I'm not sure about all of the french words... some seems a bit strange. Thomas has to confirm, I guess
    Yeah, I made some mistakes. But the rest is on Thomas. ;P
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I am amazed by the map you drew and ashamed of the advancement of your commission. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to work on it.

I really love the icons and beasts that roam on this land and, as I have said on Twitter, the gender swap on "La Spata" becoming "Le Spata" is a happy mistake as it matches the lore of the region : "Le Spata" (a Roman longsword) was the nickname of Kanoba during the war agains the Sorcerer King and "La Syrinx" (a Greek pipe) was his beloved Angusta's nickname during said war. Also, you can see Angusta (not the city) on the map (:

About the corrections, besides name there's a minor icon displacement but I'll reach John privately to not pollute the thread.

John, the map is way above my expectations !
    Thanks Thomas
    Might as well post it here.

These are the changes I'd need. Minor typos in some names, some slightly misplaced icons (but it's important to complicate player's life ) and a couple more labels. Also, if you feel inspired, you can name the north east mountain range as well as the south west one (or leave them blank) and you can also add any settlement or feature you want as a signature or joke (have fun). The map was designed to spark interest and ideas for my players and, even if I have my own ideas, the lore is for them to imagine and invent as we explore the land in game so, one or two or three more are always good adventure starters
    Here's the file.
    Attachment 113886

And once again, many thanks for that jewel
    Thanks for the notes. I've made the edits you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid jewel, indeed. Le "fort des rousses", référence jurassienne ?
    Des gobelins y affinent des fromages selon une recette naine donc, oui (: mais des champignons roux géants poussent dans le sol de ce causse.

Gobelins are aging Dwarf cheese here so, yes but there are also giant ginger mushroom growing in the caves of hte limestone plateau.
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Not nice for the Jura's people ! But the fort is absolutely magnificent !!!

I assume there is something in this above conversation that I'm missing. No worries.
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Well you are the Kingmapper here , not much can be said apart that its another Masterpiece ...
    Thanks Stefano.

I think this is the final version.
    I made all the edits that Thomas made note of.
    I added a few mountain names that I think are correct.
    I edited one of the dragons and a few other things.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanoba wip 01a-19[red].jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	114040

Perfect ! Might I ask what you meant in English when you came up with "L'Ombre Massif" ? It sounds cool as it is mysterious but not very French.

BTW, the inside joke with Ilanthar and Joël is about "Le Fort des Rousses" named after a real location in the Jura, a part France located near the border of Switzerland and near Ilanthar home city Troyes. It really is an old citadel repurposed as a cheese aging facility (mostly if not exclusively conté cheese - it is delicious !).

PS : About Angusta ... clients have been acting like sharks in bloody water, the woodcraft takes longer than expected and my babygirl just got chicken pox ... I'll try and take a stab at it next week but I'm pretty sure it won't be finished in time but rest assured you'll see it done (with tie ins to some shared interests) soon enough.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Perfect ! Might I ask what you meant in English when you came up with "L'Ombre Massif" ? It sounds cool as it is mysterious but not very French.

BTW, the inside joke with Ilanthar and Joël is about "Le Fort des Rousses" named after a real location in the Jura, a part France located near the border of Switzerland and near Ilanthar home city Troyes. It really is an old citadel repurposed as a cheese aging facility (mostly if not exclusively conté cheese - it is delicious !).

PS : About Angusta ... clients have been acting like sharks in bloody water, the woodcraft takes longer than expected and my babygirl just got chicken pox ... I'll try and take a stab at it next week but I'm pretty sure it won't be finished in time but rest assured you'll see it done (with tie ins to some shared interests) soon enough.
    It was to be something like the large shadow or the massive shadow, indicating the tall over-shadowing ridges, but also to indicate shadow.. like a shadow of mystique.
    If it doesn't work, just let me know a name you would like it changed to.

Actually that's perfect ! In French the idea would translate like "L'Ombre Massive" but there's a word play here as "massif" means "mountain chain" so, even if it's surprising to the ear, it works perfectly and the strangeness of the name is an adventure starter by itself so, let's keep it

Absolutely breathtaking!

Wow. Exquisitely detailed. Love the the illustrations of native fauna.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

What an impressive map, as usual
    I like L'Ombre Massif, it is indeed a strange name in french but gives a unusual touch.

Actually that's perfect ! In French the idea would translate like "L'Ombre Massive" but there's a word play here as "massif" means "mountain chain" so, even if it's surprising to the ear, it works perfectly and the strangeness of the name is an adventure starter by itself so, let's keep it
    It's hard to imagine and understand how the words seem strange to you, as with english it's such an amalgam language already.
    Almost anything can work in english.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Absolutely breathtaking!
    Thanks Domino
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Wow. Exquisitely detailed. Love the the illustrations of native fauna.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    What an impressive map, as usual
    I like L'Ombre Massif, it is indeed a strange name in french but gives a unusual touch.
    Thanks Robin It would be interesting to be able to share the thoughts and understanding of others.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this one.
    It was fun.

Wonderful map, J! I loved exploring all the beautiful landscape details and seeing the wee creatures everywhere The mountains are fantastic and also inspired one or two little maps of my own and made me want to join in the fun this month thanks for that!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast