Thread: Vinicium (WIP) - Workflow Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

I would just break it up by continents, each continent a separate file and they when they are all done bring them as a flattened image back into the main file. the ocean would be the only thing I would keep in this file, making it easier to nify the whole image and texture in one image.
    Also check out whole world maps in real life. To region maps I would just crop and resize and use this as a base for the region map. Don't forget you'll have rationalized some of the shapes for scale purposes so any regional map will reveal more details that wouldn't be seen on the world map.
    Just look at the details you see when you start zooming in on Google maps. Focus in on how you see the details on places like Norway emerge as you zoom in closer and closer. Or scotland...and see when you start seein all the smaller isands that surround it actually visually discern them on the map...
    So in short... it's not the same map. Just crop and rezise and have fun making up the extra details

Quote Originally Posted by Rittmeister_Krefeld View Post
    I would just break it up by continents, each continent a separate file and they when they are all done bring them as a flattened image back into the main file. the ocean would be the only thing I would keep in this file, making it easier to nify the whole image and texture in one image.
    Also check out whole world maps in real life. To region maps I would just crop and resize and use this as a base for the region map. Don't forget you'll have rationalized some of the shapes for scale purposes so any regional map will reveal more details that wouldn't be seen on the world map.
    Just look at the details you see when you start zooming in on Google maps. Focus in on how you see the details on places like Norway emerge as you zoom in closer and closer. Or scotland...and see when you start seein all the smaller isands that surround it actually visually discern them on the map...
    So in short... it's not the same map. Just crop and rezise and have fun making up the extra details
    Thanks for the input! I like your suggestion to basically make the tiles separately and then bring them back in after done. I think if I combine that with marking some of the grid cells for scaling reference, I should be able to re-use the vector image I'm using as a mask for for all the landmasses so that I at least have a general reference to make lining things up a little easier... can just make corrections later if they aren't perfect once brought back into the main file. It's like the opposite of the drawing technique of creating a grid on an image, then drawing each cell on its own larger paper in order to scale an image by hand. Thanks again, and hope you have a great day.