Thread: What's new not working well with new members messages

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the general reason why the site prefers to vet new applicants by approving their first few comments is precisely to avoid the dreadful unpleasantness of having to actually ban anyone. Other sites may have the attitude that using the ban hammer is best for all, but I've been on both kinds now and greatly prefer this system - taxing though it may be on those who are charged with the responsibility of having to vet all the new comments from all the new applicants. I think it makes for a much nicer atmosphere overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think the general reason why the site prefers to vet new applicants by approving their first few comments is precisely to avoid the dreadful unpleasantness of having to actually ban anyone.
    More new users are banned outright on their first post than anyone would like to admit. These new users tend to be spammers. Just yesterday, for example, there was a lovely assortment of folks from Hanoi that felt that it was very important that you all know about the products they were trying to sell by posting their ads in Vietnamese (with lots of pictures in the posts, too). You all never got to benefit from the wisdom that they wished to bestow upon you because they were deleted and the users banned before you could see them.