Thread: Guildworld - Climate and Biome discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I've been meaning to ask you Deadshade, other than the desert (which is created magically by that invisible dragon so he can stay warm), how does what I did with my country fit into all of this? That white area in the top part of my country is supposed to be very nasty and cold tundra. The more yellow at the bottom near Lingon's land is supposed to be an arid area that has lots of little grasses on it but it is mostly dry, not quite desert, but certainly dry and not a lot of water. But there is enough dry yellow grasses that the furry cattle can graze on it. They are a bit more robust than your typical farm cow that you would see in France or Italy. Picture more like the kind of cattle you would see in Mongolia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I've been meaning to ask you Deadshade, other than the desert (which is created magically by that invisible dragon so he can stay warm), how does what I did with my country fit into all of this? That white area in the top part of my country is supposed to be very nasty and cold tundra. The more yellow at the bottom near Lingon's land is supposed to be an arid area that has lots of little grasses on it but it is mostly dry, not quite desert, but certainly dry and not a lot of water. But there is enough dry yellow grasses that the furry cattle can graze on it. They are a bit more robust than your typical farm cow that you would see in France or Italy. Picture more like the kind of cattle you would see in Mongolia.
    I think your country is like Scandinavia.

And about the monsoon, many regions in Asia receive most (more than 80%) of their water from the monsoon. I expect it's the same with Guildworld. It makes a huge difference. With such a big landmass, the monsoon is going to be pretty strong. Yet, as you mentioned Deadshade, there is not as much water available for evaporation around the equator. But it's still pretty large in the eastern portion of the map.
    Last edited by Azélor; 04-22-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Like Azelor says.
    Your country would be like Finland. Arctic in the North (with tundra) and temperate but quite dry in the South. So basically everything you write is perfectly realistic and correct.
    And yes, the North would be very nasty especially in winter when those icy winds start blowing from the north pole. As land is colder than water, and despite the fact that cold air has very little absolute humidity, the travel over the ocean would be enough to generate quite impressive snow blizzards.