Thread: World Map - Unnamed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    That's... a very good question. I originally had high hopes of printing this on a large plotter (36"x72"), but I don't know that the resolution will hold up.

The file is 3000x6000 so I'm assuming I can get a good 24"x48" print out of it. Am I thinking along the correct lines?
    Typical print resolution is 300 ppi (pixel per inch) and a quick search for a reference for you just got me this:

“If the average reading distance is 1 foot (12 inches = 305 mm), p @0.4 arc minute is 35.5 microns or about 720 ppi/dpi. p @1 arc minute is 89 microns or about 300 dpi/ppi. This is why magazines are printed at 300 dpi – it’s good enough for most people. Fine art printers aim for 720, and that’s the best it need be. Very few people stick their heads closer than 1 foot away from a painting or photograph.”

Assuming you aim for 600 ppi. Then your 6000 pixels will allow for a 10 inches wide map - that's 10 inches of "fine art" quality print

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Typical print resolution is 300 ppi (pixel per inch) and a quick search for a reference for you just got me this:

“If the average reading distance is 1 foot (12 inches = 305 mm), p @0.4 arc minute is 35.5 microns or about 720 ppi/dpi. p @1 arc minute is 89 microns or about 300 dpi/ppi. This is why magazines are printed at 300 dpi – it’s good enough for most people. Fine art printers aim for 720, and that’s the best it need be. Very few people stick their heads closer than 1 foot away from a painting or photograph.”

Assuming you aim for 600 ppi. Then your 6000 pixels will allow for a 10 inches wide map - that's 10 inches of "fine art" quality print

Hmm. This may cause a resolution crisis down the road. Perhaps I should have gone with 12000x24000 from the get-go!

Oh well, I'll move ahead with what I've got and look at larger prints later when I've actually completed a map. I appreciate that info; something to keep in my utility belt for sure.