Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
What a beautiful map !!!!

I'm not entirely convinced by the coastline... an island that is not very indented, but it's very secondary.

The amount of detail on this map is simply breathtaking!

The towns, villages, geographical and fairy-tale details, everything is so incredible! And so rich in history!

The sinking city, the palacio, the night theatre... all this, not only mentioned, but drawn ! ! What a job !!!

And that brings me to a question: is there a distortion of scale? A difference in scale between the "empty" parts and the towns and villages, where every house is drawn?
It doesn't bother me at all, because I prefer to see the details of a city rather than a symbol or an insert with a map of the city, and it's ok for me if the scale is not respected.

Ah! I also love colours!

And I also love the title, the way it's drawn and how it fits in!

Really beautiful work! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Thanks Joel
This was definitely an unusual map. I was given a mostly formed coastline. I would not do this on my own. I tried to give it more organic edges, but it is what it is.
That's the nature of freelance work sometimes.

Yeah, the scale is all wonky. It's due to the nature of this map request. They asked for a world map, but then asked me to show all of these features that would not show on a world map, but also some features are supposed to be gigantic in size.
Needless to say that was frustrating, and I knew it was going to cause problems for the viewer to really understand the scale of things. In the end, I had to just go with it and just let go of my usual logical requirements. And all that with a request for a top down map. I would normally have done this one, with the weird subject matter requests, as a perspective map. It would have been far easier to convey the weird sizes and such. Top down doesn't really lend itself to exaggeration.

Evenso, it was a good learning experience and a good way to figure out how to do a color style for a Nahadua type map.
There are lots of interesting things I achieved in this one that will be useful for many other maps.