Thread: [WIP] Atlas Maps of Valmere | From Real-World Height Data to Vector Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by morne View Post
    Computed Min/Max=-61.000,3159.000[/CODE]

The computed Min/Max is what we are after.

For a 16-bit grayscale image, the min/max values should be 0 (black) and 65535 (white). To change the min/max values of our tif, we can run:
    Wait, what did you do there?
    The original -61,3159 was altitude in meters, right?
    With that passage didn't you off-setted that?
    I try to explain: if you do that passage did the image show "max white" at 3159m and black at -61m?

If i'm too forward just stop me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Michi il Disperso View Post
    Wait, what did you do there?
    The original -61,3159 was altitude in meters, right?
    With that passage didn't you off-setted that?
    I try to explain: if you do that passage did the image show "max white" at 3159m and black at -61m?

If i'm too forward just stop me ^^
    Yes I believe -61.000/3159.000 is the minimum/maximum value in meters of the original tif. Photoshop does not know how to interpret that data as meters, so we are remapping the values to be the full range of 16-bit grayscale, which is 0 to 65535. This does mean that the finalized tif will show full black as being -61 meters, and full white as being 3159m, which changes the image from what you originally see in QGIS. But when I am using this data to create heightmaps, I end up adding adjustment layers and other things so much that I don't care about retaining any sort of accurate scale, I'd rather have as much fidelity as possible.

If you wanted it to be closer to the original, instead of mapping to the full range of values, you would just map it to something less than 65535 instead. Hope this makes sense.