Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Ukiyo-e Map Objects - take two!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Way to go GP, congrats man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip Two trees from the same trunk and branches

I must be getting lazy, or else I really like the way this trunk turned out, well both I think!

I created what I call the mulberry tree first with green leafy vegetation. Then being lazy, I decided I needed to make a "Sakura" cherry blossom tree. Totally on experiment and hand-drew about ten flowers, gave them white petals and some yellow interior color. Then I copied and pasted them all over to get the following result.

I'm sure I've seen pink flowered cherry blossom trees as well, so I might create a third tree out this, maybe I'll just do a pink blossom on a different trunk - might get too redundant otherwise.

Two trees with one trunk... enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mulberry.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	9469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sakura.png 
Views:	469 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	9470  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip I lied, one more same trunk...

I said it would be too redundant, but I did it anyway. I used the same trunk as the previous two, but placed pink cherry blossom flowers instead. This time I was more controlled in flower placement, than on the white and I like it much better.

I plan to not only redo the white flowered one, I'm putting it on a different trunk. Not only that, I think the clumped flower technique, looks better than the blanket of leaves I have on the leafy first use of the same trunk. I am going to make clumps of hand-drawn leaves, colored then placed on the trees I've already created (the red maple anyway).

Anyway, next tree - Pink Sakura Cherry Blossom Tree.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sakura-pink.png 
Views:	1509 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	9472  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Praise The continued creation of beauty

Hello, Gamerprinter.

I really love what you are creating within this series of objects. They are all so beautiful. Thank you so very much for sharing your creativity with us and thank you for these beautiful objects.

I was so surprised when ravells posted his Japanese print made with your objects. I have been working on one myself for you. It is not near complete and won't be for a while as I continue to "tinker" with it.

If ravells doesn't mind, I would still like to post it in your thread once I've completed it?

Thanks and again, thank you for sharing yourself.

Regards,

Gary
    Last edited by RPMiller; 01-21-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fixed name
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Don't just talk about them! Download the symbols and try and make maps / pictures with them....this is the best feedback we can give GP as to how well the symbols work together!

Post Just a note...

Just a note for those following this thread. I intend to create more, eventually completing this project. However, I just received a huge commission from Profantasy software, which will dominate my map-making time this coming month. I will try to squeeze in extra objects now and again, during that time, but expect a slow down, as my workload is very heavy at this time.

I apologize for those awaiting the next Japanese object, please be patient!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

NO! NO! NO!

Screw the paid commissions! We want them now gosh-durn it!!!

Just Kidding...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

nice thread guys!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Post Vandy's Japanese Print

Hi, All.

Well, I've finished my version of a Ukiyo-e Japanese print. I certainly don't believe that it would be considered exactly the correct style but I went more for artistic "look and feel" than I did for exact style.

My special thanks to gamerprinter for providing such wonderful symbols with which to work. Here is my print:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWV - Japanese Print (Framed) 29 JAN 09.jpg 
Views:	1305 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	9720

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Hi, All.

Well, I've finished my version of a Ukiyo-e Japanese print. I certainly don't believe that it would be considered exactly the correct style but I went more for artistic "look and feel" than I did for exact style.

My special thanks to gamerprinter for providing such wonderful symbols with which to work. Here is my print:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWV - Japanese Print (Framed) 29 JAN 09.jpg 
Views:	1305 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	9720

Regards,

Gary
    Very nice....Of course, you could make it a bit better by adding an outflow for the river going off either the left of the right side and adding a path to the castle thingy...

I really like the folded/crumpled paper look you added to the printed area... nice touch.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast